Attention New Yorkers

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by DJMastaWes, Apr 28, 2008.

1. DJMastaWes macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

Hello everyone!

So, for my grad trip, I'm going to New York for 4 days and I'm super excited. However, I'm not sure where to go shopping (as, that's the part I'm looking forward to the most!)

The main thing I wanna buy is clothes. I wanna get some SB Dunks, a pair of Cons, and some sick Adidas. I also wanna pick up a tie or two, a nice shirt or two and i wanna bring something back for my mom and dad. (I was gonna buy an iPhone, but I'm waiting until June).

I don't know exactly how much time we'll have for shopping, but I think we're going to be staying in the 5th ave. area. So, what are some places I should hit up?

Also, how much money would you recommend me brining? $500?

I really want this trip to be awesome, and i wanna come back with a bunch of stuff. I know i would have to pay duty if I go over a certain amount, so I might just spread my stuff around to my friends that didn't go over the limit.

A question to you travelers... do coach buses have plugs? I want to being my MBP, but my battery lasts like, 2.5 hours.

If there's anything else i should do/know about/check out when I'm there, let me know guys!!

2. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

If you shop at the right places here on 5th avenue, that $500 will last you about 20 minutes.
    I dont think the shoe prices would be that different here then in Montreal judging by the currency exchange.

3. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

Hang out anywhere in midtown between 42nd and 34th street. You'll have more swanky places to shop then you'll know what to do with. Walking along Broadway is another good way to find tons of places to shop. In Manhattan, money can go very fast depending on where you go. That's why I live in Brooklyn. :)

As far as I can remember, coach buses have plugs. Don't quote me though. As far as other places I would recommend you hit... if you get tired of shopping, Central park is very nice, especially during the summer months. That's my personal recommendation.

Have fun in the city! :D

4. Surely Guest

Surely

You can find all that stuff in Montreal. There are some great stores on St. Catherine St.....

Spend your time in NY sightseeing, not shopping. It's such a cool city, why waste it in stores?

Take a trip to Plattsburgh if you want to go shopping. It's only like 90 minutes away from Montreal.

Or go shopping. Either way.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

While prices in Montreal may be a bit higher than in NYC (regardless of what the exchange rate is), I bet you won't save more than $30-40 by shopping in New York, and you'll have to waste a day in NYC just to save that amount.

Is it still a good idea?

Go shopping in NYC with your friends. Go and look for the stuff on your list. However, if you can't find it, it won't cost you significantly more to buy it when you get home.

6. DJMastaWes thread starter macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

I'm sure the prices in Montreal are similar, but, buying the stuff in New York gives me more of a reason to buy something that I normally wouldn't buy in Montreal, and the money I'm getting is to be spent in New York. Plus, buying stuff on trips is a lot more fun in my opinion.

Anyway, I don't know how much time we're gonna get for shopping, cause most of our days are pretty much planned out for us, and we have to stick in groups.

7. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

The cube apple store is on fifth, along with a lot of designer stores (mainly stuff for girls I think; LV, Gucci, prada). They are all really nice to go in and out of, and the apple store is really cool. If you mom likes stuffed animals, there is the really big toy store right next to the apple store ( it will be on the right if you are looking at the cube from the front :).

Basically do what I did I searched the web for stores that i wanted to visit and then google mapped it, while I wrote the address down. Basically make your own guide it will come out really handy.

Also I beleive that central park is right on the corner near the apple store and 5th. So that is really cool to check out. See this thread for anything else. Also remember you should maybe bring a little extra cash than you need just in case. I'd advise on using a debit card or something if you can, that way its not really a lose if you the card is left or stolen.

Hope that helps!