Attention OCD Sufferers: Magic Scuff Remover

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by banalelectric, May 31, 2010.

1. banalelectric macrumors member

Disclaimer: I'm not the worst person I know about stuff like this--I accept that prized possessions come to show their age over time no matter how careful you are with them. It's just a side-effect of actually using something. But when said prized possession is less than 72 hours old to me and it's already developing a "patina", it bugs me.

A couple of days after I got my shiny new MPB, I noticed a little pixel-size gray/black speck next to the trackpad that refused to be washed off with a damp cloth. It looked suspiciously like a small scratch in the finish--small enough that I thought it might have been there all along, but the more I looked at it, the bigger it got ;) Then I noticed a small scuff in the finish directly above the trackpad and my OCD kicked in. A found a handful of similar scuffs in various areas on my MPB's case and while these were ultimately no big deal, I still had to at least ATTEMPT to get rid of them.

Enter:

http://cdn.dickblick.com/items/215/00/21500-0000-3ww-l.jpg

I had used a Staedtler plastic eraser to remove scuffs from my watch crystal before, and so I thought, "What the hell!" and gently rubbed the gray/black speck and to my delight, it vanished instantly. Ditto for the other random scuffs on the rest of the case. The eraser literally erases them.

So I thought I would share this somewhat pathetic yet triumphant tale with other OCD sufferers out there who are hoping to restore their MPB's brushed aluminum to its former glory. Bear in mind that this won't likely work in areas where the finish is completely worn or scratched off, but for scuffs in the brushed aluminum coating it really does the trick. But go easy on it--rub too much and you'll likely be doing more harm than good.

2. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

You guys are really sick and should seek help...
    :eek:
    (btw, how much is that thing?) :D

3. hajime macrumors 68040

Is it possible to ask Apple to pay for the bills? I think some people developed the OCD due to the problematic MBP.

4. banalelectric thread starter macrumors member

Hmmm... I know Steve has deep pockets but I'm not sure I feel the need to ask him for the $0.84 that eraser cost me.

Unless you were talking about the psychiatrist bills? In which case, I totally agree. Apple should consider introducing an Appletherapy service for fragile consumers. They'd make a killing. ;)

5. hajime macrumors 68040

Yes. I am talking about psychiatrist bills. Perhaps they should call it iTherapy.