Attention Time Warner Users!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by KrrSplat, Oct 20, 2010.

1. KrrSplat macrumors member

Okay, hopefully i have your attention. If you upgrade to the extreme roadrunner service (something like 30 down 5 up for my area) time warner will come out and give you a Ubee(i think) modem/wireless router combo unit. Beware.

Our house is pre networked. Internet comes in through the cable and screws into the modem/router. Internet leaves the router and goes to one of our switches. Ethernet cable runs from switch to each room in our house. One room has a time capsule running in bridge mode.

When we upgraded to the "better faster internet speed" Our network ***** on itself. We had intermittent connection issues. Internet would work for a while then not work at all for like 5 minutes, but we would not get disconnected from the network(could sill transfer files between computers just not load web pages). Each day after installation connection issues got worse. Called time warner and they had a tech come out. He says, "the switch cant handle the throughput of this new router." He disconnects the switch and moves some of the ethernet cables to new ports. Says, "this should fix your problem." He then checks the internet speed using speedtest.nyroc.rr.com The test shows that our internet is working. YAY.

Wake up next morning internet is being g@y again, but not for just a few minutes, ALL morning long. Called time warner and they had a tech come out same day (amazing!) The tech was a very patient guy and he tried a lot of things. I showed him that even though the speed test site loaded, and the test was running and working, web pages were not loading. Called tier 3 tech support and we determined that it was not the time capsules wireless, and NOT our switch, it was the modem/wireless router combo. Tech guy replaced it. Awesome. He even bypassed our switch completely and routed all traffic through the new modem/router. That dude was awesome(seriously)

Went upstairs and internet worked(thank you Jesus!!!!) Watched a movie on Zune using 360 hooked up through the prenetworked ethernet port in my room. Decided to go watch Day9 on youtube. INTERNET BROKEN!!!! Nerd Rage followed. tried to Google for help. INTERNET BROKEN!!! More NERD RAGE. Thought my iMac might have some bad hardware in it. Inserted MAc OS X install disk (2 i think) Restarted and held down the D key. Ran the hardware test multiple times. No problems were found.

Turn on ipad, internet effing works. WTF!?!?!? Google is your friend. Determined it is a DNS issue. Try using the open DNS servers with Airport connection. FAIL. Remove ethernet cable from the back of 360 and plug it into the iMac. INTERNET BROKEN!!! Nerd Rage some more. Opened the network preferences and put in the open DNS servers in the ethernet section. INTERNET FIXED!!!! SWEET VICTORY!!!!

If you are having issues with connectivity to the internet, not your network, repair disk permissions, resart computer. If that doesnt work, use the open DNS servers instead of the defaults. If anybody knows how to fix my Airport connection please let me know.

2. hh83917 macrumors 6502

I have time warner as well (50/5) and I got the motorola modem/wifi router combination. I've set the motorola modem from time warner to bridge mode and use my TimeCapsule as the primary router and dhcp server and everything work just like how it is suppose to. The TimeWarner DOCSIS is pretty good if you don't have FIOS in your area.

I hate it when cable/internet companies give out "gateway" type modems to end users because it usually made the existing network complicated to work together with the new gateway. The gateway these companies gave out are usually locked and users have to find ways to change the gateway settings to cope with the existing network. Luckily this new motorola gateway TimeWarner provides is easy to alter the internal settings and I was able to easily set it to bridge mode.

KrrSplat, if you want your Airport Extreme to be your primary router, you have to find a way to set your modem to bridge mode or turn off the routing feature and let the Airport handle to routing.

3. KrrSplat thread starter macrumors member

Right now, the time capsule is running in bridge mode, and unfortunately, my internet is on its death bed again. I thought open DNS fixed the problem but i guess not. The strangest thing about the whole thing is i can be downloading a file at like 786 kb/s and web pages still wont load. I dont get it. If the internet is broken then how am i downloading an episode of day9 from blip.tv?????

All i know is if my internet doesnt get it act together, im going to start punching faces.

4. APtalent macrumors regular

786 kb/s for 30 mb/s? What the ****?

You're better off avoiding the hassle and switch ISPs. All they're going to do is keep sending techies till hopefully 'one' might get it right.

5. hh83917 macrumors 6502

I'd recommend you put the modem/gateway from TimeWarner in bridge mode and use the TimeCapsule as primary router with dhcp server.

If you have the Motorola SBG6580 from TimeWarner:
    1. Go to 192.168.0.1 in web browser
    2. type in default username: admin, password: motorola (change these to your preference if you want)
    3. Click on the "Basic" tab
    4. Look under "Primary Mode"
    5. Turn "NAPT" to "Disable"
    6. Restart modem/gateway
    7. Now your TimeWarner gateway is a basic cable modem that does nothing else but connect you to internet, no more fancy features that might screw with your internal network.
    8. Setup your TimeCapsule like how you used to with a regular cable modem. Turn on TimeCapsule router feature and use "share a public IP address".

6. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

How the hell do you guys get these internet speeds? The fastest offered here is AT&T's U-Verse at 24MBPS, and I'm in a San Francisco suburb! Where exactly do you live? >.>

7. hh83917 macrumors 6502

I live in TX and our area have DOCSIS 3.0 from TimeWarner which goes 50/5 mbps. You live in San Francisco suburb? I would think your place should have FIOS from Verizon, which offer fiber-optics to home. FIOS is currently the fastest consumer internet in US I think. Get it if you have the option. :D Where I live doesn't have Verizon service, but I hope FIOS will reach here some day.

8. unionatlantic macrumors newbie

KrrSplat, have you gotten your issue resolved? I'm having the exact same problem with my new docsis 3 (aka wideband) service from time warner and the ubee modem. Running through my airport extreme works for a short time but eventually craps out. The wireless on the ubee works better but that doesn't help me with time machine backups. Also using my MacBook or iMac eventually kills the connection but only for those devices. iPad & appletv seem to continue to work properly. Roomates pc also has no issues. This is killing me and time Warner techs here in Charlotte don't have any experience with the service, let alone with apple products.

9. unionatlantic macrumors newbie

For posterity I thought I'd post what I've found out and what I think my resolution was. I believe my issue was a combination of noise in the line and the use of the Transmission torrent client.

Once the noise in the line was resolved the spotty connectivity was greatly improved although that hasn't been completely resolved yet. I was still unable to sustain internet connectivity with my MacBook Pro. I had an extremely large torrent that I'd been downloading for quite a long time and once it completed and I quit the torrent application I had connectivity again. I did a little research on Transmission and sure enough there were reports of people with internet connectivity issues although their torrent continued to download. Sounds like something to do with too many simultaneous connections. I bet TWC has some sort of restriction on the number of simultaneous connections or the like with DOCSIS 3 to prevent people from using the consumer service for business applications or general abuse. I'm no network engineer so I'm really guessing here but seems plausible.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I had no idea the internet had a sexual orientation. :rolleyes:

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

And he is de-lighted. ;)

12. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

About the torrents slowing your internet, try setting the upload limit to about half of your upload speed.

13. linhpham macrumors newbie

Beware - DO NOT upgrade to Airport Express firmware 7.5.2

After I upgraded to Apple Express firmware 7.5.2 (from 7.4.2), the AE router won't let me connect to the Internet through the normal 'Share a public IP address'. It will only work in 'Bridge Mode' which allows only 1 connection/computer to the Internet. It means that the AE router cannot do any routing nor managing my wire/wireless network.

There are many threads confirming problems with firmware 7.5.2.

I have to perform the following steps to get it working again:
    1. downgrade AE firmware to 7.4.2 (using Airport Utility)
    2. manually configure AE to use 'Share a public IP address)
    3. perform hard-reset of the Arris modem (unplug & remove battery)
    -- note: if step 3 doesn't resolve your problem, you might need to call TimeWarner for them to reset the modem on their end
    4. if necessary, reboot computer(s)