attn: designers... infamous gradient issue question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by melissarae, May 25, 2008.

1. melissarae macrumors regular

melissarae

so i noticed the infamous gradient issue with my 20" iMac yesterday... and it's consumed my mind ever since... i've done some reading, but couldn't find out if it was something that i could return to apple for a new one... and also i'm trying to decide if it's even really worth it. it's not really bad, but i was designing a post card last night with a black background and it was very apparent that there was a gradient. i had to keep moving my head up and down to see some of the detail, etc. so annoying!!

so what's the overall verdict? is there a resolution to this issue? will apple switch it out for a different machine? and if so, should i just suck it up and get the 24" even though there might be an issue with it as well? GRAPHIC DESIGNERS: what did you do?

2. D4F Guest

D4F

20" panels are 6bit TFT which is a sad but common fact.
    The 24" uses a different panel. Difference is HUGE.
    If you are a designer then pack the 20" right away and get the 24".
    If money is a issue get a refurbished 24" and you will save quite some $$.
    Just keep in mind that if you would decide for a external screen you will have a huge problem finding one that matches the 24" quality. S-IPS panels seem to disappear from the 24" range. Of course you can find some but be prepared for $700 and up territory.

The 24" iMac is a great deal and is great for design.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

See http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=487008

The OP further supports my assertion that the TN film panel is giving some individuals trouble even when sitting right in front of it and it's not necessarily some defect causing the gradient that has nothing to do with the nature of the TN panel itself.