ATTN New iPhone 4 buyers (July 28th to Recent)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dabomb665m, Jul 31, 2010.

1. dabomb665m macrumors regular

Have you tried to drop signal by touching the death spot on the bottom left? Some reports are coming in that some canadian phones aren't doing it at all... There are reports of two Canadian iphone 4s on the same network in the same location where one phone was dropping signal and the other wasn't.

I know this isn't conclusive to anything... but I'm just curious to see if recently new iPhone 4 owners are able to reproduce the signal drop. If not, maybe it's time to finally jump in. Do a quick test, let us know.

2. Hot Snowboarder macrumors 6502

I can get it too lose one bar max. Half the time nothing happens at all when I bridge the gap. Though I've never been in an area with less than 3 bars. (I'm in australia btw).

I personally think the whole issue has a lot to do with the apparently **** network that AT&T has.

3. dabomb665m thread starter macrumors regular

It's quite possibly At&t as well.... but then again I'm not in a marginal area (pretty much 10 minutes from Apple headquarters in cupertino) and my buddy who bought on launch day can get his to drop at my house from just touching his phone. He's waiting to get a warranty return if indeed the newer ones don't drop as much.

When yours drops 1 bar does it happen from touching the spot or gripping the phone?

4. illutionz macrumors 65816

I saw a Canadian said he touched it with a finger and it dropped from 5 bars to 3 bars....

This whole drop call problem stemmed from poor reception in the first place and augmented with the attenuation problem, if you are getting full blown 5 bars everywhere, you should be fine with bars maybe dropping to 3 (I tried this at my office where signal is perfect). However, if you start off poor with 2-3 bars, touching this will definitely cause a problem.

In many parts of the world, GSM is the standard and they get great signal reception which reduces this problem. If you ask someone in Singapore I am damn sure they won't be seeing this drop call problem as they have overlapping signal coverage in that island nation.

5. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

Bought yesterday. Yes, I can do that signal drop thing.

6. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

That would be me. I had to try hard to make the bar go down. Grip not needed, touch is enough if right on that spot.

7. cipher29 macrumors regular

I bought mine yesterday (in Canada) and I have 3 bars at my house... I can't for the life of me get my iPhone to replicate what others are doing with the antenna :confused:

I'm not complaining! Mine works great :D

8. harry454 macrumors 6502

Bought mine on 30th, unlocked, tried the grip at home it drops one or two bars from 4, outside doesn't drop any stays at full 5, just drove to buffalo to visit my cousins right now and was on AT&T network, 5 bars no drops. :D

9. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

I got mine on July 29. A week 30 phone. Couldn't replicate the death grip issues AT ALL - but the phone made a rattling noise (loose lock button) and had an excessively yellow screen (to the point where blues looked green).

Apple exchanged the phone and gave me a week 28 phone which DOES have the death grip issues. SO ANNOYING. I can get it to go from full bars to "Searching... No service". I put tape around the left hand corner/antenna and now it loses about 1-2 bars and always manages to keep one bar no matter how much I cover the phone. But now my phone looks stupid with tape all over it.

(I am just listing the weeks for the people who think the weeks matter. I myself don't really know because I've seen older phones than mine w/o the antenna issue.)

10. nasa25 macrumors 65816

I'm in toronto Canada and I can get my signal to drop from 5 to 3 consistently applying the death grip but it does not go below 3

11. Sailorloco macrumors member

Got mine and my wife's on the 30th. No bar drop on either phone with deathgrip. I still ordered just one bumper case cuz wife doesn't like that case.
    Mando

12. onne2slick macrumors regular

I find my new iPhone 4 (from Vancouver, Canada) drop as much bars as my old iPhone 3G.

I have no issues with it when holding the antenna - no matter how hard I press I never surpass 2 bars.
    Regardless how I hold it, the bars drop VERY slowly