Attn: Portenzo, Treegloo and other Moleskines

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by glen e, Sep 13, 2011.

1. glen e, Sep 13, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2011

glen e macrumors 68030

OK, this is just a proof of concept thread - no comment about how it looks, it was done by me with 3 beers, an old portenzo and a Dremel with the mini sanding drum attachment in about 15 minutes.

I have written this before, but all these companies need to ditch the method of rubber and wood to hold the pad in becasue long term loss of compression is gonna pop it loose. It is inevitable. It needs a delrin/alum frame or in this case, a plastic cover with snap/click corners like you can buy off of eBay for 8 bucks. So that's what I did:
    so here's the clear plastic cover for the back from ebay:
    [​IMG]
    And frame dremeled out about 1/8 inch to accommodate cover
    [​IMG]
    cover glued to the frame and ipad inserted
    [​IMG]
    a router set for this would done this better, but it's just concept
    [​IMG]

and there it is: the looks of the portenzo/moleskine with no problems of fit and corners coming loose, etc.

I have a new pad and quill coming that I am taking to a carpenter friend and having this professionally done.

BTW, clearly the company to beat is P&Q - I ordered 9/10 and UPS says it is here 9/19.

2. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

3. deathcab4xtina macrumors regular

4. swedefish macrumors 6502

Great idea, but i cuess that if they implement a plastic holder they will no longer be able to tout their ~MASTER ARTISAN HANDMADE IN THE USA CRAFTSMANSHIP BY REAL HUMAN BEINGS~

5. glen e thread starter macrumors 68030

Some things are better injection moulded.....:D:D:D:D

6. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

if you put some felt to cover up the plastic, your thing would look mega expensive!

7. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

nice proof of concept work here glen, I may just have to try that myself.

8. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

There was some company that had their product posted here a month or two ago. They had a "book" style case, with a rubber mount inside of it. No wood at all. I can't find the ilnk now.

9. matelot macrumors regular

fieldfolio ?

10. kearnine macrumors newbie

I'd like to try this, have a question

Glen e, such a great idea. I'd like to try it with a Portenzo I bought cheap on ebay. If I do, I'll post pics too.

But first I was wondering if you could tell me how much the front edges of the plastic cover protrude above the wood tray--is it enough to make the front Portenzo cover not close all the way? And maybe make marks in the cloth lining when it's closed?

Thanks so much for sharing the idea.

kearnine :)

11. glen e thread starter macrumors 68030

You can get it flush enuf.....

12. kearnine macrumors newbie

13. glen e thread starter macrumors 68030

14. DKatri macrumors 6502

While I like my Dodo case. I think that durability of the moleskine type cases is questionable and they don't like to be left without the iPad in them. My friend sent his back to dodo because when it arrived it was warped beyond use.

I think though that dodo have realised the drawbacks. The case they have announced for the nexus 7 uses a sticky patch rather than the bamboo frame. Could be interesting if they do the same for the iPad sometime in the future.

15. kearnine macrumors newbie

Thank you very much, Glen! I will look into that case right away. Sure enough, the wood in my Portenzo warped. Seems to me it was inevitable considering the case was built in very, very humid St. Louis and wound up in very, very dry Utah. In my situation, the warping occurred within 2 weeks. I was REALLY bummed after all the excitement and waiting for the case. :(

Thanks again for sharing your find.