ATTN Themers: New tweak to change folder icons!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by murdercitydevil, Sep 10, 2011.

1. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

If you love customizing your device and are anything like me, you hate the stock folder background and have searched for a way to have custom icons for each folder, instead of Apple's stock icon with the little app previews on top of it. Previously, the only way to do this was to use Categories, a tweak that added folder functionality to iOS from before the 4.0 days. The reason it worked was because it's "folders" were actually separate apps, and thus, could be themed with custom icons through WB. But Categories/CategoriesSB have been long abandoned and are essentially crap on today's firmware.

Finally, a developer named Vertex has created the solution, called FolderIcons, for free in Cydia. It works perfectly with FolderEnhancer and does exactly what you'd expect - it lets you use custom icons for any of your folders. The only difference between this and Categories (besides the obvious difference) is the way in which you define the custom icons. With Categories you'd theme the folder icons through WB, but with this, you put all your icon files into /var/mobile/Media/FolderIcons and select them through FI's Settings pane. A little more tedious if you switch between themes often, but otherwise just as simple. I'm sure the developer is going to keep working on this, so keep your eye on it until @ashikase releases his FolderThemer tweak (if ever).

I've been using it with FolderEnhancer and had zero problems, although it wouldn't work at first so I had to reinstall it, after that everything's fine. Check it out if you've always wanted custom folder icons without the bloat/bugginess of Categories.

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

be nice if the Dev had created more then one folder Icon ready to go.. for those of us non photoshop guru's. nice bit of hacking though.

3. gapperonduty macrumors 6502

OOoo...been looking for a tweak like this for awhile...

saw it first here
    http://opinionativereviewer.com/archives/3132

and found this only thread in my favourite forum...

anyone else has experience to share with this tweak? especially those on 4.3.3?