ATTsays iphone won't work without data plan

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by sravana, May 22, 2012.

1. sravana macrumors regular

I have completed my 2 years with ATT with my iphone 3GS, and I've decided that I would like to delete the data plan, and still use my iphone. I just got off the line with a "Customer Service Representative" who told me that the iphone won't *work* without a data plan, that it has something to do with the sim card. He insisted that the only way for me to save any data $$ was to downgrade to the $20/mo from my $30/mo 'unlimited' plan - a savings of (wait for it!!!) $120/year.

I would call ********, but I thought I'd ask around here first.

1- is that true?
    2- If I activate the sim card in my ancient moto razr, can I then put it in the iphone 3GS and use it?

2. Backpackgirl macrumors newbie

This is true. If you update your account to the razr, they will remove the data plan and you can technically use the sim card in your iphone.

However, system checks are done at AT&T that scan for that kind of thing. I had a friend who used his sim card from a old phone and put it in a iphone 2g, used it for about six months then at&t sent him a text saying that he had a smart phone and they would be adding a data plan to the account.

Im sure if you possibly contacted them and request a supervisor and explain you will not be using data on the phone they may be able to work with you, worth a try.

3. PatrickW98 macrumors 6502

PatrickW98

The iPhone would work fine without a data plan, but AT&T makes all smartphones have data plans. (They just want more money.)

If a data plan wasn't needed, I would have never had one on my iPhone 4S.

4. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

They force you onto a data plan no matter which way you work it. IIRC the iPhone 2G (original iPhone) is and was the only iPhone that can skirt around this requirement.

5. sravana thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the quick replies.

I guess I'll probably use the Razr, then (though I think it needs a new battery) and pretend that the iphone is an ipod touch.

ATT sucks! :mad:

6. PatrickW98 macrumors 6502

PatrickW98

All the other carriers have the same policy.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Welcome to the us wireless carrier system.
    They all mandate a data plan with all smartphones. Unless you use a prepaid service you're stuck.

8. NewAnger macrumors 6502a

Only the original iPhone was allowed to not have a data plan if you were on the iPhone Pick a Plan that they offered for those who failed the credit check. You had to call to remove the data plan and it was allowed.

9. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

I am so confused on this. Will they catch you with the original iPhone or not? I keep seeing conflicting answers...

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Now they will, before, it was a toss up - but the policy is set now.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I heard with the original iphone 2G they wont automaticly add the iphone data plan but anything higher from iphone 3G and up they will.

12. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

Ha! Can't get any more ironic than this. Once again, conflicting answers!

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

In life you will meet people with different opinions.
    As far as I know I never heard of a singe person with an iphone 2G getting a message from AT&T that the mandatory iphone data has been added to their account.
    Since the 2G was classified different than all other iphones after it even the customer reps were ok removing the iphone data when you used that model iphone.

14. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

Well, I've been in life for a good number of years, but certain things are not opinion-based. This is a yes or no kinda of thing- just looking for the facts regarding this question. I appreciate the help, but I'm sure you can see where I am coming from with other people posting conflicting info.

15. firstDave macrumors newbie

You can get a pay-as-you-go plan ($0.10 / min.). #800 support won't tell you this, but the AT&T store people will. It's the Pre-Paid GoPhone plan and you don't need to buy the phone to get on it.

I was going to do this as I have a pre-paid T-mobile account & bought an ebay iphone 4 that was AT&T locked and wanted to transfer my phone # to them. The #800 said NO, but the store person said YES, free micro-sim card and no charge to port my phone #.

As I said, I was going to go this way but then AT&T unlocked the phone so I kept it on T-mobile. I might switch when I run out of T-mobile minutes.

Lesson learned ? Go to an official AT&T store and get the truth.

16. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Get another phone if you want to keep the AT&T account, remove the data plan.
    Get the iPhone unlocked by calling AT&T customer support once it is out the contract.
    Now that it is unlocked do whatever you want with it.