ATTWS deadline 15 May - Advice on Upgrade to an iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Brown Trout, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Brown Trout macrumors member

I need some iPhone and ATT WS advice from you Apple veterans!! I didn’t see my issues in other threads, so here goes. Sorry for the lengthy background, but here’s my situation: I want to buy an iPhone but am not sure how to time my purchase:

- My Apple experience is limited to a couple of iPods and iTunes. My smartphone history is Blackberrys from work that let me access the web and check my ISP email. My Blackberry is disabled by the SysAdmin people for syncing my home Outlook or just about anything else, including music from a non-work computer. (So I've had a couple of iPods for music)

- I’m facing a 15 May deadline from AT&T WS to acquire a new personal phone and plan because of "system upgrades" that will make my unlocked Motorola SLVR L7, a great basic phone - inoperable. I started with AT&T around 1998, then was moved to Cingular and back. I’ve had a great rate for years, basically month-to-month now, so I'm OK with the deadline & finally want a smartphone for personal use. I pop in a SIM in the L7 for service in Europe when I’ve traveled. Maybe I’ll still be able to do that in the future if I keep the L7 for those trips.

- ATT WS will give me a cheapo VX only phone if I sign a new basic contract – or I can do an upgrade to a lot of other choices, including the iPhone 4. They offer the 32 for $299 new or $199 refurbished. I would like this size to start burning (or buying) movies for travel. For upgrading to an iPhone I sign for a 2-yr contract & continue to get 450 mins unlimited for $33 and just have to add 2G data for $21 and whatever messaging option I pick. I think this is pretty good, no?

- I would like to buy a new iPhone 5 when it is released, but that thing comes out AFTER my 15 May deadline. I think I’ll be fine with an iPhone 4 and probably won’t need the latest and greatest for a while, but you guys might have some advice on timing.

But here are my questions:

- How does the AT&T WS upgrade timeline for iPhones work - if I pick up a 4 now, how long will I have to wait before I get one of those “subsidized” deals like I’m offered now? About two years, right?

- If I buy a 4 now, and become obsessed for an upgrade before I have the subsidized offer from ATT WS, it looks like some of you sell your existing phone on gazelle or eBay and come close to covering a new “un-subsidized” model. Is that pretty accurate?

- On the side, what’s the best option for viewing/editing MS Office files on an iPhone or Pad?

2. Tailpike1153 macrumors 6502a

Tailpike1153

1. Usually two years, but many iPhone/smartphone owners have been getting early upgd notices at 18-20 months into the contract.

2. You got it.

3. My dad uses Documents to Go Premium. He has no complaints. YMMV

3. Brown Trout thread starter macrumors member

4. Brown Trout thread starter macrumors member

Very Impressed with this iPhone

I've had the iPhone 4 for a couple of weeks now. I love this thing, with only 1 exception (Mail) that I am working on. This is a great device.

- I had zero problems loading 4.3 and 4.3.1 and iTunes perfectly synced my contacts and notes. One issue is email, because I have Verizon - POP and it's basically a server Inbox sync. I think I'm going to use GMail so I can have access to 1 or 2 Inbox folders, like I have on an IPaq 210 and WM 6.0. That was helpful if I wanted to look at older, pending stuff like travel emails from an airline or hotel.

- iTunes seamlessly loaded up my music. I used ******** to update the 4G of music from my Nano and exported to my iTunes folder that I had cleared. I know there is a less expensive way to do this but ******** worked fine when I first got it for moving to a new notebook. I also ripped a couple of DVDs and that synced well too.

- The apps for AMEX, my bank, AA, and Marriott are really good, and the newspapers are a big improvement over using their mobile web sites on my Blackberry from work.

- DataViz is a lot better that the last time I used it on a Treo. Until I use an app for it, I've got a desktop excel file with user names/passwords, and the file is password protected. The new Documents to Go can handle PW protected files. It's a good deal for $9.99.

- ATT gave me a great deal and I had the iPhone 3 days after ordering. But the SIM was screwed up so I could not activate online. They told me I had to go to a store for a new one, and I figured that would be a hassle, expecting big lines with the iPad 2, but it took only 5 minutes after I walked in the door. Plenty of staff and they knew what they were doing.

- Navigation: I am used to the Blackberry and keyboard/scroll setup but had no problem adapting to the touchscreen. I did lock the screen in portrait, however.

-Unlocking. I did it with my last phone, but dunno if I'll go that route here.

- I have had no call-drop or antenna issues, with or without the OtterBox Defender I'm using. Thinking about something thinner or less grabby like a Speck hardshell for slipping in a pocket, so I would appreciate some advice/feedback on hardshells.

THX//

BT

5. WildGuess macrumors regular

My favorite pocket case: Acase Superleggera ice cube fit case (clear). Amazon, ten bucks.

6. Brown Trout thread starter macrumors member

That looks perfect / price is right too.:D Thanks!