Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j2048b

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
Cali
I have used atv flash and it is pretty cool, never hacked one of these before but did it recently!

how would one go about mounting the atv hard drive on my mac? I know it can be done, not sure how though? i want to be able to see the drive and drag and drop movies and stuff onto it!

also why does xbmc suck so bad? every movie is half the size and looks all grainy!

also with atv flash does it activate the usb port?

i have installed almost everything on this thing:
firefox (where the heck is it?)

thanks for the answers to a ton of ques!

j

natethomas1

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2011
Check to see that the streaming bitrate/quality settings are correct. Usually apps like Plex or XMBC will use a lower bitrate by default.

XBMC doesn't use a media streamer like plex. It allows the hardware to do all the decoding itself, so this is likely not the problem.

Ordinarily, I'd suggest, if you're running the AppleTV 1, that you buy a CrystalHD card and a special version of XBMC that's linux based that plays really nice with your hardware. However, that doesn't seem to be an option with atv flash. My next suggestion is to ask on their boards.

http://forum.firecore.com/

People over there might know what's going on with the version of XBMC you're running.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
If you are serious about hacking it install linux xbmc and a chd as was said previously.

Can be done a number of ways but if your going to do it don't bother doing it half-assed. Just do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.