ATV 2.3 and remote problems

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by kiranmk2, Nov 24, 2008.

1. kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a

My ATV was refusing to respond to remote presses (the white light didn't flash at all). If I pressed the remote up to the sensor it worked fine. I;ve read lots of similar complaints over at the Apple support forums and it seems to stem from Apple's decision to allow 3rd party remotes. It seems that a lot of LCD tvs output a large amount of IR noise which was confusing the sensor. Amazingly, propping a bit of paper in front of the sensor made the remote function as normal (with the new 2.3 speed). Will Apple fix this or am I (and thousands of other LCD owners) doomed to have paper taped to the front of our ATVs?

2. sneeks macrumors 6502a

My remote works but it's very sluggish to move around the screen and select items with the update to 2.3

3. NightGeometry macrumors regular

Sorry to bump this thread, but does anyone know if there is a fix for this, it is *really* annoying me a great deal?

Anyone know if it is possible to lift the remote driver from a previous version, and drop it back in? Or anything.

4. esoh macrumors newbie

I know this sounds dumb, but I have tried a method from the Apple forums of putting a Post-It note cut into a a square about 1 cm x 1cm and putting it over the IR sensor. It appears to have made the remote work about 80% better, but not as good as it should.

Edit: Sorry, I saw the first post and read it more carefully. My bad.

5. MCRunning macrumors 6502

I just bought another Apple TV yesterday and thought there was something wrong with the remote. Everything on the new remote works fine except the down button I have to press like 20 times for it to go down once.

Though with my other Apple TV remote, everything works fine so I don't know if it is the 2.3 or the remote?

6. NightGeometry macrumors regular

I keep meaning to try the paper over the sensor trick, but haven't had the ATV long, and have been away. Meant to pick up some post its from work.

I have various remotes, from a Macbook, an iPod Av kit, and the ATV itself. Pairing / unpairing them they all have the same issue.

The paper trick just seems so... inelegant, I was wondering if there had been some hack to fix it that I just hadn't seen.

7. esoh macrumors newbie

I had the same thought, but I tried it and it worked. I have seen tons of people with the same problem, so I'm guessing that it'll get fixed in the next update. Until then, however, we'll just have to use a kludge to solve our problem.

8. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

This might be off topic- if so I apologize- but how do you guys get the remote to work for just the appletv? If I have my laptop in the room while I'm watching the appletv the remote always triggers my MacBook. Stupid question I know, and I don't mean to hijack the thread, but it is remote related.

Thanks

9. EvilMatty macrumors newbie

You just need to pair the remote with the apple TV and unpair it with the laptop - this ties individual remotes to separate devices.

(I too have some paper suck over the sensor on my aTV to filter the radiation from my LCD!!)