Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vemmelund

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
Hi

I'm looking at the aTV 2 to be my new media streamer in the living room. After a couple of years i've gotten tired of being forced to connect the laptop all the time.

I have a couple of questions / demands, but can you tell me if it would work? :eek:

1. I already have a network harddrive (Iomega 1TB), that's where i store all my video and music. Can iit be connected through the USB or wifi?

2. I wan't to be able to play directly from the netdisk, without turning on the laptop.

After what I have read in the forum, I probably have to run firecore on it?

I'm also going to change the Router, and everything is placed at the same location..

There is also a Ipad & Iphone 4 in the house :D

Last edited:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The Apple TV 2 cannot use a USB hard drive, only networked ones. You'll have to use a non-Apple media interface to play from the networked drive, like XBMC.

vemmelund

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
The Apple TV 2 cannot use a USB hard drive, only networked ones. You'll have to use a non-Apple media interface to play from the networked drive, like XBMC.

Does it work with all kinds of network drive? Because it's only a low-price model..

But if I jailbreak and use XBMC, would it be able to stream from the networkdisk with out any lack? :eek:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
As long as the drive supports SBM (Windows) or AFP (Mac) filesharing protocols it should work with no problem.

vemmelund

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
As long as the drive supports SBM (Windows) or AFP (Mac) filesharing protocols it should work with no problem.

It's a Iomega Home Media Network Hard Drive, and after what i found in the tech. info it look's like the Network compability is Apple File Protocol (AFP) / HTTP / Microsoft CIFS / Server Message Block (SMB) / FT

Seems like no problem in hooking it up? :D:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.