aTV 2 and external HDD

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by vemmelund, Nov 1, 2011.

1. vemmelund, Nov 1, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2011

vemmelund macrumors newbie

Hi

I'm looking at the aTV 2 to be my new media streamer in the living room. After a couple of years i've gotten tired of being forced to connect the laptop all the time.

I have a couple of questions / demands, but can you tell me if it would work? :eek:

1. I already have a network harddrive (Iomega 1TB), that's where i store all my video and music. Can iit be connected through the USB or wifi?

2. I wan't to be able to play directly from the netdisk, without turning on the laptop.

After what I have read in the forum, I probably have to run firecore on it?

I'm also going to change the Router, and everything is placed at the same location..

There is also a Ipad & Iphone 4 in the house :D

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The Apple TV 2 cannot use a USB hard drive, only networked ones. You'll have to use a non-Apple media interface to play from the networked drive, like XBMC.

3. vemmelund thread starter macrumors newbie

Does it work with all kinds of network drive? Because it's only a low-price model..

But if I jailbreak and use XBMC, would it be able to stream from the networkdisk with out any lack? :eek:

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

As long as the drive supports SBM (Windows) or AFP (Mac) filesharing protocols it should work with no problem.

5. vemmelund thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a Iomega Home Media Network Hard Drive, and after what i found in the tech. info it look's like the Network compability is Apple File Protocol (AFP) / HTTP / Microsoft CIFS / Server Message Block (SMB) / FT

Seems like no problem in hooking it up? :D:cool:

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell