Atv 2 doa?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by itsjaimedawg, Feb 28, 2012.

1. itsjaimedawg, Feb 28, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2012

itsjaimedawg macrumors newbie

Morning everyone,

I just purchased an Apple TV 2 from Gainsaver. Finally got it yesterday, plugged it in, and woosh, black screen. Now I've learned a lot since yesterday at 3 pm, including different HDMI and USB cables, resetting and DFU mode, etc. One common thing that I have noticed throughout is that the ATV2 will always boot in a recovery mode. Whenever it is in iTunes I only see the summary page and an option to restore. In TinyUmbrella I force it out of recovery and it just goes right back in under a different recovery device number. Have also tried Recboot to no avail. Furthermore, I have restored the ATV 2 at least 10 times. Does anyone else have any advice.

Other info: I have seen the "Plug into iTunes" icon at some points, and then I have also seen the Apple Logo for around 5-10 secs, but then black on my screen. My TV is an Emerson LC320EM1 720P HDTV.

Edit: Here is a picture of my iTunes after restoring

http://i.imgur.com/svcAV.png

Thank you everyone!

2. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

So you recovered via iTunes, using a micro-USB cable and when the restore was done and told you to hook it back up to your TV it still wouldn't boot?

3. itsjaimedawg thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, that's correct. Light on ATV2 flickers to indicate boot, then stays on, but nothing on the screen (Yes, I'm on the right input too and the HDMI is connected :rolleyes:).

4. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Sounds DOA to me then.
    Or a bad HDMI cable or a bad HDMI port but those are easy to rule out.

5. itsjaimedawg thread starter macrumors newbie

I've actually used two different HDMI cables. I've gotten the apple logo and "connect to itunes" icon with both.