ATV 2 jailbroken now or wait for ATV 3 - comments appreciated

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by bctf1, Feb 22, 2012.

  1. bctf1 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2011
    #1
    I have a decision that I need to make within the next week. I have recently begun a 30 day Netflix trial primarily to test with ATV 2. I also just purchased an ATV 2 knowing that a new ATV release is coming soon. I have an iPad 2 and wanted to try airplay features, mirroring and Netflix via the ATV. If I keep the ATV 2, I would jailbreak it for the additional content options.

    My thinking is that with the release of a new ATV there will be a new IOS version released as well that will not be jailbreakable for the time being. I like the airplay features and mirroring of the ATV 2 but am not satisfied with the content options of the non-jailbroken product.

    I have 1 week to decide whether to return the ATV 2 and wait for ATV 3 with unknown new features or keep it and jailbreak it hoping that I will be satisfied with this decision.

    I realize that this post is based on a number of hypotheticals, but I am interested in any comments you might have that might help me make my decision.
     
  2. convergent macrumors 68030

    convergent

    Joined:
    May 6, 2008
    Location:
    Raleigh, NC
    #2
    If you are unhappy with an un-jailbroken ATV2, then the same will be true of the ATV3. You are talking about $100 here... get the ATV2 and enjoy the thing.
     
  3. aeronauticsrock macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2010
    #3
    I would absolutely return it and buy the ATV 3. I know I would want the latest product- Im sure it will be 1080p, and may have much more horsepower. I'm waiting to buy one myself.

    Im sure the devs will get right to work on it :)

    Just my .02.
     
  4. slu macrumors 68000

    slu

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2004
    Location:
    Buffalo
    #4
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

    I have an AppleTV and I love it. I use AirPlay from the iPad all the time. I also use it for Netflix. I like it so much, I just ordered another one. I also occasionally rent a movie. I don't have cable so maybe your use case would vary from mine, but I think it is worth it, even without the jailbreak.

    Will I regret it if a new one is released soon? Maybe, but if the new one is that compelling, I may get it and move an old one to the kitchen or guest room.
     
  5. marc11 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2011
    Location:
    NY USA
    #5
    Sometimes I swear if Apple announced or even if a rumor was mentioned that Ape might make toilet paper people would not poop until it was released!

    There are zero confirmations about what, when or if a new atv is coming. Logic says one may come but what and when and or if it is better for YOUR needs is anyone's guess.

    You want it now get it. Enjoy it and if a new cones out in a week or month or whenever sell that one for $80 to $90 and buy the new one.

    Meanwhile you get a month of enjoyment and free Netflix for what a few dollar depreciation? A that is still assuming the next atv comes sooner than later and further assuming it includes some must have features. Even 1080p will have zero impact in the short term since most content streamed and from iTunes is 720p or less.

    Why people deprive themselves is a mystery to me frankly. Want it, buy it, enjoy it.
     
  6. Che Castro macrumors 603

    Joined:
    May 21, 2009
  7. Ccrew macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2011
    #7
    I think it's more a question of if you want it now or a few months from now if the intent is to jailbreak it. Might take months to get a JB like it did the 4s/iPad2.

    I'd buy a ATV2 from someplace with a fair return policy and leave it unopened until you see if the new one is announced if it were me.
     
  8. nfl46 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2008
    #8
    Some Apple Stores still have them. Get one from an Apple Store. You will have around 14 days to return it...thats March 8th.

    I'm going to pick up an ATV2 and jailbreak it. If I don't like it, I'll return it and wait on ATV3.
     
  9. bctf1 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2011
    #9
    That's exactly what I did. I got it last Saturday from an apple store after reading that it had disappeared from the shelves at local stores and amazon anticipating that a ATV3 release was forthcoming.
     
  10. Nychot macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2011
    #10
    You're talking a measly $99. Buy the 2 now, enjoy it and when the 3 comes out -- if it ever does-- spring for another measly $99. If a hundred bucks put a crmp on your budget maybe you shouldnt be buying these toys. I just bought a new jaklbroken one on ebay fir $130 and uf a 3 comes out that offers more i'll get that too. We're not talking big bucks here.l
     
  11. brentmore macrumors 6502

    brentmore

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2002
    Location:
    New York
    #11
    Definitely get the atv2 now. As some others have mentioned, it's not a huge investment. It'll also give you a chance to go through the motions of jailbreaking the device and learning its quirks. The learning experience alone may be worth it. And, if you don't like it, just restore and sell/return.
     
  12. jwm2 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2012
    #12
    Do not jailbreak it and then return it. Thats just plain fraud. When you jailbreak it you void the warrantee and assume all liability. Please don't put another black mark on the modding community by doing this.
     
  13. brentmore macrumors 6502

    brentmore

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2002
    Location:
    New York
    #13
    Without going down the rabbit hole, there is nothing fraudulent about jailbreaking a device and restoring it to the original condition. If companies took your approach, that would put a whole lot of linux users in a tricky place, wouldn't it? Apple's return policy (along with those of many other companies) is in place to allow consumers the time to see if the device and software performs as expected. Please use care when throwing around terms like 'fraud' and 'liability'.
     
  14. hafr macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2011
    #14
    Do you void the warrantee on an iMac if you remove OS X and install let's say Ubuntu on it?
     
  15. jwm2 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2012
    #15
    If you return it to factory firmware then fine, so be it. But i still feel once you jailbreak it, its yours from that point on. Do the right thing and take responsibility for your actions.
     
  16. urkel macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2008
    #16
    Jailbreaking is fairly easy and can easily be restored back so why not try out the aTV2 jailbroken and make your decision with more understanding about what you get.

    I don't have a popular opinion on Jailbreaking, but TO ME then I don't like my jailbroken AppleTV. The XBMC interface is slow, the apps are confusing directory trees and my wife definitely prefers the Roku for doing things like Hulu or Amazon on Demand because it "looks" better. So i feel its worth it to wait to see if there is a new Apple TV before locking down to last years model.
     
  17. brentmore macrumors 6502

    brentmore

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2002
    Location:
    New York
    #17
    The latest Eden update for ATV2 brought a noticable speed bump to XBMC. You're right about the apps and menus, it could use a little streamlining.
     

Share This Page