ATV 3 can't sign with iCloud two factor

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by chrisandersen, Feb 5, 2017.

1. chrisandersen macrumors 6502

chrisandersen

There is an old AppleTV 3 that I was using in a spare bedroom as an airplay device without a TV (just speakers attached). I realized it wasn't working and brought a TV in there to see. Well, it wanted me to sign in with my Apple ID. I did, and then my phone gave me the message that someone was signing in and here is the passcode to verify with two factor. Problem is the ATV3 does not ever ask you for that code.
    Is there a setting somewhere to turn on 2 factor on the Apple TV?

2. Rigby macrumors 601

Try appending the verification code to the password.

3. chrisandersen thread starter macrumors 6502

chrisandersen

You don't get the code on the iPhone until you successfully log in with appleID and password.

4. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

That contradicts your first post. Attempt to sign in via ATV3, select allow on your phone and get code, then append code to password on ATV3.

The funny thing is I have an ATV3 and seem to remember there was an option to enter the 2FA code. My memory could be playing tricks on me, I'm not near my ATV3 at the moment so can't check.

5. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

6. Rigby macrumors 601

You should see a code when you first try to login with the regular password. After you get the code, try again with the password plus appended code.

Another option to get a code right away is to go into Settings/iCloud/Password&Security on an iOS device and use the "Get Verification Code" function.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 5, 2017 ---
    App-specific passwords don't work on the Apple TV.

7. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

How so? It should work on any device. Why would it not?

8. Rigby macrumors 601

I don't know why, but I tried it and it didn't work when I still had my ATV3.

9. chrisandersen thread starter macrumors 6502

chrisandersen

App specific password did not work. But, it did work when I appended the code to the end of my password.