ATV 3: Extraordinarily Long DL Time

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Danley, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Danley macrumors member

Apple TV3, new at Christmas.

It excels at everything streaming/channel-wise. Netflix etc.

I just made the mistake of trying to rent a movie over itunes through it, for the first time. Two freaking hours to download? Really? Haven't seen the thing yet.

Googled around and searched here for solutions. Tried manually setting/resetting time zone and location. Tried a few different DNS addresses. Connecting/reconnecting to wifi and Ethernet. Feel like I've taken all the advice and touched everything.

I have att Uverse, usually speed test comes out at around 3.5, reasonable for hd streaming on all my other devices and other ATV channels. What the heck is going on here? What haven't I done?

2. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Do this: factory reset you Apple TV. If you have an iPhone 5 or newer, use it to set up your Apple TV automatically.

One thing i do know... 3.5mbs is really slow for Apple TV HD viewing. You might want to try and download to iTunes on a Mac/PC and then stream via Homesharing.

3. iancheyne macrumors regular

Happens to me infrequently, but generally after an iTunes or aTV update. I usually have to reboot one or all of the following: iTunes, my Mac, the airport base station, the airport express and the aTV. Once in a while I have had to unplug the aTV and give it a hard reboot.

Once fixed it works great until the next time ... :D