ATV 3 freeze at startup?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by mikeka, Jan 19, 2015.

1. mikeka macrumors newbie

New ATV 3 owner (1 month). About once every day or two the unit freezes when I turn it on with the Apple remote. After startup the remote is then
    non-functional - light on the ATV does not show reception of any command. I see nothing on my tv .. black screen ... no icons. I have to unplug the ATV power to get functionality back. I'm running the latest ATV OS. Hardware problem? (return to Apple?) Or could this be software related?

Another issue for me is that mirroring from iPhone 6 is hit or miss. Sometimes the phone is unresponsive and freezes requiring a phone restart. Don't think it's a router problem as the ATV is 8 inches from our router, phone about 10 feet. iOS 8.1.2

Thanks for any thoughts.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

What router do you have? Have you tried restoring the Apple TV?

3. mikeka thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes tried restoring ATV. No change. Freeze happens every day or two. Router is an ASUS RT-N66U.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Is the Apple TV connected wireless or by Ethernet to the router?

5. mikeka thread starter macrumors newbie

Wireless. 8 inches from the router. Would rather stick with wireless as I cannot mirror when using Ethernet.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Having it wireless and so close to the router can cause problems. It is generally recommended that WiFi devices are at least one foot apart to prevent interference.