ATV 3 not showing on iTunes devices list!

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by migakira, May 28, 2013.

1. migakira macrumors newbie

Hello!

I bought an Apple TV 3, and so far it's working great. I can play my songs in it, using home sharing and clicking on "Computers -> Music". I can airplay everything, all my iDevices recognize that there is an Apple TV ready to receive youtube videos, etc.

But there's one problem, I can't access my musics by clicking on "Musics" in Apple TV. It says that my library is empty and that I can use iTunes to sync.

But on iTunes, my Apple TV never shows on my devices list. Everything is up to date, I even restored my Apple TV using my iTunes (connected using a USB cable), but my ATV 3 still doesn't show on my devices list in iTunes.

Is there something that I can do to try and fix this?

Thanks!

2. mic j macrumors 68030

It will never show on your iTunes device list. Not part of it's design.

At the start, you say you can play songs using home sharing but later you say you can't access your "Musics" by clicking on it. Not sure I understand what you are getting at. :confused:

3. migakira thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, I thought it was supposed to appear on my iTunes Devices list!

I can play songs if I click on "Computers" and then click on "Musics", but then I can't use my iPad's Remote App to pause, go to next track, etc.

On ATV, if I click directly on "Music" (and not on "computers -> music"), a message appears saying that my music library is empty and that I can use iTunes to transfer (or sync, don't remember exactly) songs. That's all the info it shows, nothing else.

I saw several posts saying that I should try to stop all my iDevices from being synced with iTunes wirelessly and then restore my ATV, or that I should connect my ATV via Ethernet Cable and get a source code that i would later use to connect the ATV to iTunes, etc., but nothing had any effect.

So it's not supposed to show up on my iTunes Devices List? And the "Music" part is ONLY for music bought on iTunes Store?

Thanks!

4. linds15 macrumors 6502a

if you use itunes match or have purchased music it will appear in the direct music section

5. jdblas69 macrumors regular

No it will not show on itunes list like mic j pointed out

Also you can control your shared music library with the iPad remote app. When you launch the app in addition to your apple tv being displayed there should be a icon that shows your shared music library. Doing this from memory as unable to try that out to confirm for you.