Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apok

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2011
Columbus, Ohio
I just got an ATV3 for my bday. But I wonder if I actually need it. I already have my MBP set up to play on the TV for anything I download. Is there really much point in using the ATV3? I would have to convert a rather extensive movie library in order to load them into itunes to stream to the ATV. Is it worth my while to set this up?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
It certainly doesn't sound like you would use it if you're happy with your current setup.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Do you have iOS devices you would like to airplay on your big screen? I use this when showing photos to visitors rather than passing over my precious.
Or do you have another TV in the house without cable? Thats another option. If not you could just sell it.

SueG

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2011
My other half bought me one for my birthday. Its certainly a great addition for the ipad. Not tried it with mac imac or macbook pro yet.

CTay

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2013
Worth it to me for simplicity. Being able to wirelessly access my music, pictures and movies in one place with the ease that apple offers is very nice. I converted about 300 movies after I bought it but I looked at it like this... MP4 format is usually recognized by most operating systems. If for any reason I need to bypass the ATV and plug my HD into my samsung TV, all movies will be in a format that plays. Not sure that would be the case if I left everything in MKV format.

Simple and attractive formats for anyone visiting and looking through your library as well.

I was in the same boat as you in the beginning. I could do everything in some way or another...ATV just made it easier.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Is it worth my while to set this up?

You didn't give a reason that you want to so I say not worth it.

An ATV, in your case is for a fixed, server home theater solution, a fixed box to house your extensive media library and using iTunes to drive it, so perhaps the entire family can access it everywhere in the house.

Your current situation, it sounds, single user, single view, ATV really doesn't bring joy specially if you have to spend the time (a lot) converting the videos.

I'll take it off your hand for $50. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.