ATV 3 Restore and no remote

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by rayjay86, Apr 1, 2016.

1. rayjay86 macrumors 6502

Ok I realize the ATV 3 is probably very dated now given the new release but here it goes.

The other day the Mrs bought a new TV entertainment unit. We disconnected everything and setup the new one. When I plugged in the Apple TV and turned it on, I got the page showing to connect to a computer and restore.

Here's the catch. Since I moved house earlier this year I lost the remote. I've been controlling it with NO ISSUES using the Remote app. Wifi network is strong, Airport Extreme is literally 10ft from the ATV. Internet is working fine according to speedtest.

When I did the auto setup process using my phone as Apple mentioned on their support page (turn bluetooth on, put in iTunes password etc.) I get an error saying Wifi network cannot be found....but my phone is on the wifi network and its working fine, said wifi network just downloaded the latest update file to restore through iTunes.

Now I've got an ATV that keeps going to that page and getting a wifi error. Finally I plugged it into the TV and now it just goes to a page that shows Settings and Homesharing and says please connect to a wifi network....what the hell!

Am I stuffed, do I need to buy a new remote now? If I buy a new remote am I going to be able to pair it with this stupid brick?

2. The Mad Hatter macrumors 6502a

The Mad Hatter

The new remote 'should' work without pairing. However, I know this may be a long shot, but do you have/know someone with a Harmony remote? If so, you could temporarily program it for the ATV via it's programing app to get you going.

Good luck