ATV 3 vs 4 in a small setting

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Regurgitated, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Regurgitated macrumors newbie

Regurgitated

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on an ATV either version 3 or 4. I've been reading the forum and it seems the 4 might be overkill for what I want to do. I have a small office (8 ft by 9 ft) and I've mounted a tv with a shelf below it. I've also mounted a pair of speakers on the wall. If I go for the 3 I plan on ditching my audio receiver and picking up this amp which will allow me to stack the 3 on top of it saving me precious space. I don't plan on doing much more than listening to my music and a movie every now and then. I checked the 4 out at my local Staples and it really seemed to me overpriced for what my needs are. Is apple going to continue selling the 3 and supporting it? Are there former 3 users in my situation that moved to a 4 and what benefits are there? Any help is appreciated.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

From looking at that amp you will need the optical out from the ATV to feed into the amp. Given that the ATV4 dropped the optical out, I think that makes your decision for you. For your described usage the ATV3 seems to me it would fit the bill.

3. Meister Suspended

Meister

4. Regurgitated thread starter macrumors newbie

Regurgitated

I pulled the trigger on the 3 and ordered the little matching amplifier. I'll report back as soon as my install is done! Thanks!

5. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

That amp should also work for the ATV 4 using an HDMI audio splitter.

For the office I use ATV 4 and Bose Soundlink Mini II which means audio is controlled via the ATV remote and we are clutter free.

6. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Just bought the ATV4 and a Soundlink Mini II. How do you have them setup? Seems like the Bose would have better sound than my TV.

Thanks!

7. jdag macrumors 6502a

Thats a cool little amp...like how they've packaged it like the ATV. Let us know how it sounds. I know a lot of people use the Lepai LP-2020A+ amps, which are about 1/3 of the cost of this one, but not nearly as attractive.

If that one doesn't work for you, I really like the Dayton Audio DTA-120, which is much more powerful and better sounding then the Lepai.

That being said, I don't believe those other amps have digital inputs, so you'd need a convert in between.

8. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

Yes, it is much, much better. I connect via Bluetooth so the remote can control the volume and leave the Soundlink on the charging cradle with a micro USB cable. The Soundlink will turn itself off a while after the audio source has turned off.

9. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Thank you! Just set it up and it works and sounds great!