ATV 3rd Gen doesn't turn on anymore!?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Adam-Jobs, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Adam-Jobs macrumors regular

Hi guys, hope you're all well. I had my Apple TV 3rd gen replaced by Apple few months back as it was one that had been recalled at some point for a wifi fault. Now I don't know if the issue I'm having is with the latest software update or the device itself? My issue is I am no longer able to select AirPlay via one of my iDevices and the ATV automatically turn on. I have to physically get the remote press a random button, turn it on that way. Then select AirPlay. Sometimes my devices will not detect AirPlay unless I again get the remote and turn it on. This never use to be the case with my previous product.

Any help or shared experiences is greatly appreciated.

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

try rebooting the aTV (unplug power for a few seconds)
    and also do the same with your router.

3. Adam-Jobs thread starter macrumors regular

Hi. Thank you for the response. Unfortunately that didn't work. I may have to contact Apple support.

4. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

Go into settings and set it to "never sleep". Not a fix, but it might work.

5. jeff92k7 macrumors member

I'm guessing your aTV is connected via an Ethernet cable and not WiFi.

If so, it's a software issue. This issue happened a few software versions back, but it happened again in the most recent software update (iOS7). I read in another thread that disconnecting the cable and connecting it to your WiFi network, then reconnecting the Ethernet cable may fix it.

I've got two 3rd gen aTV's that have the exact same problem. I'm testing this supposed 'fix' on one of them right now. Just waiting for it to go back to sleep to see if airplay awakens it.

Unfortunately, Apple's QC has gone down the drain in the last couple of years. Apple stuff is supposed to "just work", but lately any sort of software update on any of their products causes more problems then they fix.