ATV 4 Doesn't Come with USB-C Cable, REALLY???

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Magaman, Nov 26, 2016.

1. Magaman macrumors regular

This has to be a mix up, brand new ATV 4, comes with a charging cable for the remote BUT it's not USB-C. This has to be a joke right? What dummy at Apple thought of this brilliance. Oh how far Apple has fallen these days.

2. Richard8655 macrumors 6502a

Richard8655

As I understand, the USB-C port is not meant for charging the remote. It's for diagnostic purposes. The included lightning cable should be used with a standard USB charger for remote charging.

3. benjitek, Nov 26, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2016

benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

Always a good idea to check the website product description to see what's included in the box, or read the box before purchasing. If it really upsets you that much, return it in protest and buy a Roku... :confused:

4. Richard8655 macrumors 6502a

Richard8655

Actually, I can't blame OP. Apple could be clearer about this. It wasn't evident to me initially.

5. waw74 macrumors 68030

I dont think the aTV has a 5V power supply built in, so just guessing that the port is unpowered, and it's only used if you need to do a hard re-install of the OS on the aTV

At this point everyone has a few USB power bricks laying around, or a computer with open ports.
    I've got 2 appleTVs with probably close to 20 months of total ownership time. between the 2, I think i've had to charge the remotes maybe 3 or 4 times.
    It's pretty easy to grab the power cable already installed by the couch or bed and leave it plugged in

From the aTV 4 specs on the web site

6. twinlight macrumors 6502

twinlight

The remote uses lightning. I have charged it once in 6 months. The USB-C is for updating and service. Most likely something you will never do.

7. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Clearer about what? For 99.9999% of users the USB-C port will never be used.

8. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

Clearer in that if the item comes without an essential component, like batteries, it should say so. In this case, no HDMI cable or charger. It says HDMI cable sold separately so it is reasonable to assume that nothng else is required.

9. Richard8655 macrumors 6502a

Richard8655

Clearer in describing that the USB-C port has nothing to do with the lightning cable and charging, and is only used for diagnostics/servicing.

10. waw74 macrumors 68030

It also doesn't say you need a mains wall outlet to power the unit.

At this point USB chargers are pretty much everywhere. If you've purchased this, you probably have a cell phone with USB charger, or most TVs now have one, or a computer of some kind.

you mean like where in the tech specs they say "USB‑C for service and support"

11. Richard8655 macrumors 6502a

Richard8655

"On the bottom of the Siri Remote is a Lightning port for charging. Apple's website says a "Lightning to USB Cable" is included with the Apple TV. It's unclear if that's a Lightning to USB-C cable that can be plugged into the Apple TV itself."

As evidenced by the OP's thread here and per other website observations, it may be clear to you but not to everyone:

http://mashable.com/2015/09/11/7-things-apple-tv/#8pHAnfUTZkq8

12. Shark5150 macrumors 6502a

Shark5150

Lol. Really?

13. E.Lizardo macrumors 68000

Obviously it's time for a multi-million dollar class action suit.

14. x-evil-x macrumors 68040

x-evil-x

What do you need a usb-c cable for? it has a power cable....
    usb-c is for diagnosis and other side loading type things nobody ever does. Its a never used port for 99% of people.
    do you complain when an hdmi cable isn't included in the box of every single item that has a hdmi port.
    Hdtv's, ps4, xbox ect...

15. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

No, because it explicitly states that they are sold separately.

16. bcave098 macrumors 6502a

bcave098

The old Apple TV has micro-USB, and I've never heard of anyone complaining it didn't come with a micro-USB cable.

The port has always been for service, no other use.

17. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

The old AppleTV didn't require you to charge the remote. I actually find it concerning that the new remote requires charging. That means at some point, the remote will become useless due to requiring a new battery that is either too expensive or no longer available.

The old remote used a simple coin cell battery that is commonly available everywhere. And in 3 years hasn't needed replacement yet.

I would find the new design to be a disappointment based just on this one design element.

18. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Mine lasts 4-6 months between charges so the battery will probably outlast the life of the Apple TV itself!

19. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

As someone who doesn't replace something unless it no longer does its job, that would mean the remotes batteries will still need to be functional in 10 to 15 years from now.

The coin cell batteries are more comfortable in that regard for me. I know I can easily locate one for a dollar if I need it.

Given that I'm not expecting my media needs to change significantly, I expect the AppleTV will continue to serve my needs for many years to come. Everything is streaming from my computer to the 3 AppleTV v3's that I have.

I'm not a consumer of paid content. No cable service, etc.

But if I were to be in the market for an additional AppleTV, I would factor in the issue of the battery not being easily replaced on the remote for the AppleTV 4.

20. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

The cycle count isn't going to be an issue with it lasting so long between charges, so all you need to be concerned about is calendar aging. There are loads of articles available about this topic, but you should easily get 15-20 years life out of the battery (whether the rest of the remote and Apple TV would usefully last that long is a completely separate question!)

21. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

I had to use the USB-C port once to restore the Apple TV due to an error in installing a recent update. pretty painless and easy but very rare occurrence.

never had to charge the remote yet and have it for nearly a year. you have iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, etc you have a remote. it probably costs less to get anew remote in or out of warranty than time/money spent getting c batteries for the old ones. not really that concerning

22. mic j macrumors 68030

I wish more of my remotes had a good rechargeable battery and efficient used of the battery, like the Apple Remote does. I hate replacing all those batteries and recycling them. Oh, and keeping a variety of different sizes on had to be there with the remote dies...big pain.

23. profets macrumors 68040

Having to charge the remote 1-2 times per year really isn't a big issue. Though it would be cool if the Apple TV had the ability to charge the remote from the USB-C port.

My favourite is the Apple TV I have in the bedroom, when it comes time to charge the remote I just sit it on the iPhone dock I have next to the bed.

24. belvdr macrumors 603

I don't think I've replaced the batteries in our remotes in 3 years, and all them are standard alkaline.

25. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

does it not have enough power from the outlet to charge it via USB-C to Lightning?