ATV 4 Lip Sync Issue

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Shaun.P, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Hi there,

I am having trouble with a new ATV 4.

Occasionally sound is out of sync. I have noticed this with iTunes purchases and Netflix.

A restart of the ATV 4 solves the problem.

Is anyone else experiencing this? I has occasional similar problems with the ATV 3 on Netflix. With the ATV 4 I am using a brand new Apple HDMI cable.

I thought it might be my TV, but then why would a restart of the box temporarily fix the problem?

I am just using the TV's built in speakers.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!

2. jmantn macrumors 6502

if it were me I'd personally be restarting my Modem, Router, and Apple TV. I'd do a speed test on the apple tv with the speediest app (you'll have to search for it but it's in the app store) to ensure it's getting the speeds you expect and lastly I'd check to ensure there's no IP conflicts (less likely) that could be causing some stuttering (I manually assign IP's within my router).

Just some basic ideas to at least cross off on the troubleshooting check list.

3. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

no problems here. I am shocked you are seeing a delay and you are using the built in speakers. Does your sound settings have an "audio delay" or similar setting? I know most samsung TVs have settings to adjust audio delay.

4. RhythmAndBlues macrumors regular

Bane. Of. My. Life.

I experience audio-lag running iTunes content from the SSD of my MBP, within both iTunes and Quicktime - no streaming variables involved. Does anyone know whether the Apple TV uses similar playback software...?

5. RhythmAndBlues macrumors regular

You're assuming that the audio-lag will be consistent between files, friend. In my experience of iTunes content, it isn't.

Plus - and this is the real killer - sometimes the audio-lag wanders mid-playthrough. So, even if you set a bespoke 40ms delay when the movie starts, an hour later it won't be right again.

Never happened with analogue...!!!

[further chuntering about 'the old days']

6. thekayman macrumors 6502

Had this problem with the aTV 3. Extremely annoying. Haven't received my 4 yet, but I sure hope I will not see this again.

Anyway, a quicker fix I used with the 3 was to simply switch inputs which is much faster than restarting the box.

7. nexsen macrumors newbie

I see lip-sync error to some degree on almost all content whether ATV, Tivo (DVR) and sometimes even on BluRay's (but Blu-ray's are usually far less). When talking about lip-sync error on forums be aware that our natural reaction is to avoid it because it isn't possible in the real world. It contradicts reality (especially if the sound occurs BEFORE the lips move) and we avoid it apparently by looking away from the actors lips and faces. Research over 20 years ago at Stanford showed lip-sync error - whether consciously noticed or not - causes the same negative feelings we have about those who do not make eye contact with us (feeling they are less truthful, more agitated, etc.) which is ironic since "we" are the ones looking away and not making eye contact with the characters when lip-sync is off. If you force yourself to focus on the "lips" you will see it but keep in mind many forum members aren't doing that and when they say they don't have a lip-sync error problem they may be looking at the same lip-sync error that you are seeing but they don't consciously notice it. But the negative impact is still there according to the Stanford research. I use a Felston DD740 to correct lip-sync error but several other companies like Alchemy2 and Primare for example make remote controlled lip-sync correction devices. They all intercept the audio and allow you to adjust the delay in 1 ms increments while watching without disturbing the picture. This is about the only way to get perfect lip-sync and eliminate it's negative impact on viewer perception no matter what causes it. If you are interested in that research do a Google search for "effects of audio-video asynchrony" and you should be able to find the research paper. Unfortunately all the lip-sync correction devices I mentioned delay s/pdif audio (optical and coax digital) but Apple did not include an optical output on the ATV4. I was waiting on the 4 to replace my 2nd generation ATV but just bought a 3rd generation because of that.

8. thekayman macrumors 6502

I have run into this problem and it seems to affect movies on Netflix as well as iTunes. Strangely I don't see it in the Trailers app where all is well. Can you check if that's the case on your end?

Has anyone found any solution to this or should we wait for a firmware fix?

9. nexsen macrumors newbie

By "trailers app" do you just mean clicking to view a trailer or something different? I have an ATV 3 now not a 4 so I really can't check that for you but I am curious if you see a difference in lip-sync on trailers and watching the movie for the same title? By the way Felston apparently has an HDMI delay since I just saw it mentioned on the LipFix.com site so not having a s/pdif output on the ATV4 won't be a deal breaker and I will probably sell my ATV3 and get the 4 once the felston HD940 is available.

10. thekayman macrumors 6502

Trailers for new movies in the Trailers app not the ones for movies available to buy/rent in iTunes.

I wonder whether this lip sync issue is experienced by very few of us or is rather prevalent but most users never notice?

11. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

12. BeK macrumors regular

BeK

I am dealing with the lip-sync issue myself on my brand new ATV 4.
    I using a Airport Extreme (latest generation) on the 5GHz signal.
    My router is about 12 feet away from my ATV. I've restarted the ATV, Airport, and my cable modem to no avail.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448975284.249220.jpg

13. nexsen macrumors newbie

According to the study done at Stanford the vast majority of viewers never "consciously" notice lip-sync error if its under 41.25 ms but they reported it still had the same negative impact on viewer perception of the characters and credibility of the presentation.

I guess those of us who notice it are really the lucky ones. Even though it drives us crazy until we correct it we end up with an immersive environment while the others who unconsiously look away from the characters' faces to avoid it suffer the negative impact.

Actually I think most people "can" see the problem but they have to overcome their natural tendency to avoid it and force themselves to really focus on the lips and not look away from the characters faces.

14. thekayman macrumors 6502

I also have an Airport Extreme but my aTV is plugged into it, so apparently lip sync has nothing to do with the internet connection (wired v. wireless).

15. itsjustmeee macrumors 6502a

It seems to vary with me depending on the app. For example, I noticed that something like watching a CNN live stream with their app is fine but the worst lag by far is Youtube. There's a bit of a lag with Netflix, HBO and Showtime. I have noticed a lag with iTunes movies and TV shows as well.

16. thekayman macrumors 6502

17. BeK macrumors regular

BeK

Thanks for the URL. I just submitted feedback regarding the issue.

18. bitslap47 macrumors 6502a

bitslap47

This is a problem that I've experienced with every AppleTV I've owned. Pausing and re-starting as well as time shifting aggravate it. It happens with iTunes content and apps like NetFlix and YouTube as well... so it is hardware and/or OS based. Its been reported many times for many years. It's just low on their priority list evidently.

My AppleTV is hardwired. Everything in my house is hardwired except iPhones and iPads. No other device has this issue, and my network and internet connections are rock solid. My TiVo and FireStick do not suffer the issue, nor does my XBox etc. with like services (i.e. NetFlix.)

I restart my AppleTV before each use. It has become habit.

19. thekayman macrumors 6502

I had the same issue with the aTV 3, which was actually worse than 4, however I definitely did not have this issue with the aTV 2. All else equal (same TV, router, connectivity, etc.)

20. bitslap47 macrumors 6502a

bitslap47

This makes sense actually as I have never owned a v2, only several v3s and a v4. I had both Rev 1 and Rev 2 Apple TV v3s and both revs exhibited the issue.

21. thekayman macrumors 6502

A quick switch of TV inputs seems to restore sync, no need for a full reboot

22. BeK, Dec 4, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2015

BeK macrumors regular

BeK

So you think the problem lies within the Apple TV's HDMI port? Maybe there's a batch of them out there with bad HDMI ports?

23. thekayman macrumors 6502

Who knows? But what are the chances of my getting an aTV 3 and then an aTV 4 one year apart but with the same problem?

24. thekayman macrumors 6502

25. bitslap47 macrumors 6502a

bitslap47

Unfortunately for my setup, that doesn't resolve it. I have a Panasonic Plasma TV. If I switch to the input from my TiVO, then back to the Apple TV... lag is still there.

I also have noticed each time you pause and resume, the lag gets a little worse each time.