ATV 4 - Local Content / TV Seasons

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by GreatOldOne, Oct 5, 2015.

1. GreatOldOne macrumors member

All,

I've seen a few people ask this question in various threads - but none seem to have been answered... Nor can I find anything on the wider web (not through lack of trying) - But can anyone who has early access to an ATV4 confirm how the local TV show content (i.e iTunes purchases or ripped content accessed via homesharing from iTunes on a local Mac) is presented?

It's always been a bug bear of mine that each individual season of content is shown in the top level listing in TV Shows. Is it the same with tvOS / ATV4, or have they collapsed them so we now see Show -> Season(s) -> Episode(s)?

In the great scheme of things, it's not a deal breaker - But it'd make navigating large collections a hell of a lot easier.

Thanks in advance,

Jason

2. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

especially if Siri's search capability extends to Plex, then I can just voice ask for a specific item, but you're right when there is a lot of content, not even having the ability to jump to a letter is a royal pain

3. GreatOldOne thread starter macrumors member

Anyone else care to comment on this? I notice that several forum members have posted saying that they've been testing ATV4 'for some time'... Maybe they could answer this?

4. JMEANS macrumors regular

Would really like to know what's what with this as well.

5. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I think at the keynote apple mentioned siri only working with netflix, iTunes content, hbo, and showtime......at least at launch.

It seems like it will only work going forward with services that you can buy directly from iTunes. All of the above mentioned can be subscribed directly through apple.

6. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Unfortunately no one with an Apple TV 4 is allowed to comment on it at the moment because of the NDA, or at least they shouldn't.

But from what's publicly been announced and rumoured we know that Siri will be limited to Apple services and select content partners at launch. However they are apparently going to open this up to developers in the future. So hopefully we'll see Siri work with Plex at some point.

7. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

8. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

9. CaptTCS macrumors regular

CaptTCS

What I would like to know is whether Siri will include the content I have in my iTunes Library on a Mac Mini, networked through Home Sharing.

10. GreatOldOne thread starter macrumors member

OK - so the reviews are coming out, so I assume the NDAs have expired... And as none of the reviews I've read so far mention local content, can *anyone* with a developer unit now clue us in to how TV seasons are now handled?

Inquiring minds need to know. :)

11. akuma13 macrumors 6502a

akuma13

Add me to the list. I would like to know if I can store purchased movies and tv shows on the new Apple TV? I don't have a mac.

12. TrueBlou, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015

TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Seasons are still handled the same way for iTunes HomeShare, so far at least. Purchased content in the ITunes TV shows app is broken down into show, season, episodes.

Nothing is permanently stored on the Apple TV, at most it caches whatever you are streaming from iTunes/Homeshare or anywhere else. Unless of course someone makes an app to do it, but considering Apples stance on using space on the ATV, I doubt it would be approved.

Oh, and Siri doesn't work with any content that isn't from one of the supported launch Apps, so, iTunes Movies and TV Shows, Netflix and so on. Other than Apple adding more approved apps for the time being that is how it will stay. They are opening up the API to us at some point in the future, so when that happens expect apps like Plex to get in on the Siri action.

13. Sound214 macrumors 6502

Well, ****. Good thing Infuse is coming.

14. akuma13 macrumors 6502a

akuma13

Thanks for answering. It's good to know what i'm getting into.

15. beatledud macrumors 6502

WHAT THE HELL! I mean really?! What a simple fix this could be. Just got mine and I can't believe. Screw you guys Apple.

16. bergert, Oct 31, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2015

bergert macrumors regular

home sharing including seasons is still there - only NO playlists. It can sort by season (so 3 seasons of the same show show as 3 lines) or by Genre.

I guess I did purchase too many seasons (50?) already - so this totally useless !
    To add insult, Siri cannot (!) search content from home sharing; only from iTunes. When I search for "Once Upon A Time" it shows me one one season (of the 3 which I bought) plus additional 8 (or so) movies I did not buy. To summarize: FUBAR.

On aTV1-3 there is an option in settings which turns ON display of playlists, this is missing from aTV4:
    http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/tips/comments/enabling-video-playlists-on-apple-tv
    In the menu audio&video, Show playlists (OFF by default)

on aTV4 to enable playlists:
    Settings->Apps->Computers->Show Playlists (default Music only)

17. bergert macrumors regular

good news: home sharing-MUSIC
    opens with the familiar menu (aTV1-3)
    now playing, shuffle, search, Genius, Playlists (YES !!!)

18. HelixOmnimedia macrumors 6502a

HelixOmnimedia

Having local content is the main reason I use my current 3rd Gen AppleTV, but today I purchased the new one to see if they had improved the interface/layout or just make that 'local content' side easier to navigate.

Your own TV Shows still appear in the same design layout and menu as previous generations - just updated colours and font. (see the first attached image)
    IMG_1268.jpg

Needless to say I'm very disappointed.

If your own show appeared like they do when searching for them in iTunes then it wouldn't be so bad (see second pic).
    IMG_1266.jpg