ATV 4 skip 10 seconds keypress hard on siri remote

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by TwoBytes, May 5, 2016.

1. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

If you tap the left or right side, you can skip 10 seconds. With my siri remote, I have to press uncomfortably hard to skip. Is this the same experience with you ATV4 owners? Something seems wrong to press so hard..

2. Puonti, May 5, 2016
    Last edited: May 5, 2016

Puonti macrumors 6502a

I don't believe the skip action can be described as "tap". It's definitely "press and hold", in a way that engages the trackpad's physical click. Personally I don't feel like I need to excert any more pressure on the trackpad when skipping ahead, than I do when I'm doing an ordinary click (not a tap).

Would you say that if you press the trackpad until it clicks and hold it there for a while skipping does not work, but instead you have to press down even more firmly after you hear the click before anything happens?

3. benjitek, May 5, 2016
    Last edited: May 5, 2016

benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

If a click that involves pressing down less than 1/32" is somehow "uncomfortable", then the remote probably needs to be exchanged for a replacement.

If you're doing something other than a click on either side for 10 seconds back or forward, or a click 'n hold to FF or RW -- you're doing it wrong.

4. TwoBytes thread starter macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

Hmm. I think I need to play with another ATV remote to see if this is normal or not. Thanks for the help!

5. shandyman Suspended

Apple changed it to a clock with a tvOS update a few months back. Used to just be able to do it with a touch before that, but apparently people complained about accidentally skipping that way.

6. TwoBytes thread starter macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

just to help anyone reading this thread, it was a hardware problem. Everything *seemed* ok but after trying a new siri remote, it was clear something was wrong and Apple replaced it. New remote works perfectly; no painful pressing down until your thumbs turn blue. Everything is responsive and touch sensitive. Get yours checked out if something doesn't feel right