Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What should I do with my Apple TV 4?

• Sell it, you have too many streaming devices.

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Keep it and sell the Rokus

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Keep it and return the Fire Sticks

Votes: 8 53.3%

• Total voters

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
So I signed up for the DirecTV NOW service and got the Apple TV 4 on the way. But I already have 2 Firesticks (2016) I purchased on Black Friday and along with that I have a LG Smart TV (webOS) that does nearly everything I need (Netflix/Hulu/Plex) besides DirecTV NOW (nor it's competitors SlingTV/Vue) along with two Atv3, three Rokus (Roku 1,2 & 3), a 1st gen Chromecast and then I also have 3 gaming systems (PS3, PS4, XB1S)

*Thus far I'm not impressed with DtvN and might switch back to SlingTV after my 3 months.

But being that I have way too many streaming devices right now I'm debating NOT keeping the Atv4 and just using the Fire Sticks as my DtvN devices.

Can anyone help me with my decision? Should I keep the Atv4 or sell it off for $125 (roughly the price for DtvN plus sales tax)?

Is it even worth keeping? I haven't been impressed with anything I've read about it thus far. I almost bought one last year but decided that it didn't offer me anything that I didn't already have in my home. But now that that DtvN is only on 2 devices I might need it... I currently only have 2 Fire Sticks but I have 3 TVs in my home.

EDIT: Just as of note. I've used all 3 services (Vue, Sling, DtvN) on all my devices and Roku is probably my favorite for Sling while Fire Stick is better for Vue.

Last edited:

benjitek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
I received my promotional FireTV Stick a couple days ago. I already have a 2016 Roku Streaming Stick and an ATV4 but thought I could use the included remote with my Amazon Echo. Turns out I was wrong, the FTV remote is a separate device than an Echo remote, not interchangeable.

I have Prime, so I tried out the FTV... for about 30 minutes -- what a klunker. Navigating was not as responsive as the Roku or ATV4, loading apps was a lot slower. I mostly listen to video using bluetooth, and doing so with the FTV was out of sync, like watching something that was dubbed. The Plex app was antiquated, like using an abacus to watch video. The DirecTV Now app kept exiting during use, surprising as it was the promotional giveaway. The only thing I thought worked really well with the FTV was Alexa, but I don't use voice commands enough to care.

Makes a great 'secret-Santa' gift, but other than that a FTV serves little purpose other than keeping the Chromecast dongle company in the junk drawer. There is no comparison between a FTV and the ATV4 you're getting, unless there's something on the FTV that isn't available for the ATV4 -- you'll be switching it to a secondary HDMI port, or unplugging it... ;)

Reactions: MrXiro

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I received my promotional FireTV Stick a couple days ago. I already have a 2016 Roku Streaming Stick and an ATV4 but thought I could use the included remote with my Amazon Echo. Turns out I was wrong, the FTV remote is a separate device than an Echo remote, not interchangeable.

I have Prime, so I tried out the FTV... foro about 30 minutes -- what a klunker. Navigating was not as responsive as the Roku or ATV4, loading apps was a lot slower. I mostly listen to video using bluetooth, and doing so with the FTV was out of sync, like watching something that was dubbed. The Plex app was antiquated, like using an abacus to watch video. The DirecTV Now app kept exiting during use, surprising as it was the promotional giveaway. The only thing I thought worked really well with the FTV was Alexa, but I don't use voice commands enough to care.

Makes a great 'secret-Santa' gift, but other than that a FTV serves little purpose other than keeping the Chromecast dongle company in the junk drawer.

Thanks! So has your experience with DtvN been positive on the Atv4? So far I feel like DtvN is kind of a dumpster fire... not a big fire... like someone dropped their lit cigarette in the dumpster and it's just smoking up the place right now... of course this is on the Fire Stick.

benjitek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
...I feel like DtvN is kind of a dumpster fire...
Both SlingTV and PSVue were pretty bad when they first came out. Sling's UI has been improved, but stream performance is still pretty bad on the ATV4 and very good on the Roku stick, I didn't bother trying it on the FTV stick. SlingTV is more frequently updated on the Roku, they must have more resources devoted to it. SlingTV performed poorly when it first launched. PSVue is fine on both, an occasional quirk. Didn't try it at launch, but have read there were issues. Very much like the DVR functionality.

DTVN has been fine, the UI is a bit of a labyrinth -- but it'll get better. I've run into some of the issues that have been written about, like error messages that I'm using my maximum 2 streams when I'm just using one. Thought it had a DVR feature, was disappointed that's not coming until 2017.

I don't think you can really judge a streaming TV service by how it performs at launch -- it'll take 2-4 weeks to have a better idea. With AT&T behind it, I can't see them moving forward with a product that underperforms. As long as I remain grandfathered into the 100 channels for $35 promo, I don't see the others as a better choice.

lvavila

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2013
Both SlingTV and PSVue were pretty bad when they first came out. Sling's UI has been improved, but stream performance is still pretty bad on the ATV4 and very good on the Roku stick, I didn't bother trying it on the FTV stick. SlingTV is more frequently updated on the Roku, they must have more resources devoted to it. SlingTV performed poorly when it first launched. PSVue is fine on both, an occasional quirk. Didn't try it at launch, but have read there were issues. Very much like the DVR functionality.

DTVN has been fine, the UI is a bit of a labyrinth -- but it'll get better. I've run into some of the issues that have been written about, like error messages that I'm using my maximum 2 streams when I'm just using one. Thought it had a DVR feature, was disappointed that's not coming until 2017.

I don't think you can really judge a streaming TV service by how it performs at launch -- it'll take 2-4 weeks to have a better idea. With AT&T behind it, I can't see them moving forward with a product that underperforms. As long as I remain grandfathered into the 100 channels for $35 promo, I don't see the others as a better choice.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles

I love the UI on Sling... My 3 month contract ended the day they released the full details of the DTVN so I took a week and gave Vue another try (I tried if way back when it launched) and I like it best as far as video quality, features and UI are concerned. BUT they use the West Coast feed for shows on the West Coast... which I actually hate. If I wanted to watch something 3 hours after the rest of the US I'd just DVR it.

Yeah I think Sling's video quality is still bad. But not terrible... buffering is pretty bad though even with fast internet. But I love that it has an auto shut off for people who fall asleep with their TV on. Something that both Vue and DTVN lack.

The DTVN UI labyrinth is what I'm mostly referring to as a "dumpster fire". Finding shows is pain, you can't favorite your shows for quick access like on Sling and the VOD availability is abysmal at best. The most recent episodes for any VOD show is over a month old... I guess I expected the 72 hour playback to be more akin to Sling's where it's ACTUALLY a 72 hour playback as opposed to "on select shows" of select channels (Yes I know not all Sling Channels have it either).

I guess my patience is thin for DTVN because the more polished experience already exists and while this is the first month of the service, they had those competing services to use as a template for DTVN to make it better. As is it's like they released a first gen iPad competitor after the iPad Air came out on the market.

They have 3 months to impress me or I'm jumping back to the cheaper SlingTV. The only channel I actually want/need is USA, the other ones are just icing.

So your vote would be to keep the Atv4 and dump the Fire Sticks?

lvavila

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2013
I agree with your comments. I admit, I'm an Apple *fanboy* having bought my first ATV4 along with my Sling ATV4 and DTV Now ATV4 specials. I am an employee of CableOne so I have a free account for many channels (apps) but at the same time unimpressed with Sling (both with content and UI experience). My Favorite OVT steaming source is Tablo but prior to cutting the cord I came from DirecTV which I loved (minus the $120 cost). So like the comments above I'll eat $35 for the next 6 months to see whats value DTV Now will be. I also have 1 firestick and 2 Roku's but have never tried Chromecast. Today ATV4 is lacking in turms of Single Signon (CableOne not yet supported) and unified guide thru Suri, but man it gets better and better and "I feel" is leaps ahead of any other device's user experience. Granted Roku may have more sources available but like DirecTV I had with 200 channels and only watched about 10, more is not neccessarily better. Netflix and HBO seem to have stepped up it lineup and I even watch Youtube for the lastest tech clips.

As I access the Tablo app and all my other channels (apps) thru ATV4, it feels wierd how much content and control I have with its mini remote.

8fanboy

Reactions: MrXiro

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I agree with your comments. I admit, I'm an Apple *fanboy* having bought my first ATV4 along with my Sling ATV4 and DTV Now ATV4 specials. I am an employee of CableOne so I have a free account for many channels (apps) but at the same time unimpressed with Sling (both with content and UI experience). My Favorite OVT steaming source is Tablo but prior to cutting the cord I came from DirecTV which I loved (minus the $120 cost). So like the comments above I'll eat $35 for the next 6 months to see whats value DTV Now will be. I also have 1 firestick and 2 Roku's but have never tried Chromecast. Today ATV4 is lacking in turms of Single Signon (CableOne not yet supported) and unified guide thru Suri, but man it gets better and better and "I feel" is leaps ahead of any other device's user experience. Granted Roku may have more sources available but like DirecTV I had with 200 channels and only watched about 10, more is not neccessarily better. Netflix and HBO seem to have stepped up it lineup and I even watch Youtube for the lastest tech clips.

As I access the Tablo app and all my other channels (apps) thru ATV4, it feels wierd how much content and control I have with its mini remote.
8fanboy

Thanks, So you like the Atv4 remote? I've heard very mixed feedback on it.

benjitek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
...so you like the Atv4 remote? I've heard very mixed feedback on it... ...so your vote would be to keep the Atv4 and dump the Fire Sticks?... ...so?...
It's not like you're deciding what to buy, since you have all all that stuff, just try it -- decide for yourself... you're really overthinking things. Other users preferences might not be your own. If you give the forum search feature a try, you'll discover a lot of this has already been discussed.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
It's not like you're deciding what to buy, since you have all all that stuff, just try it -- decide for yourself... you're really overthinking things. Other users preferences might not be your own. If you give the forum search feature a try, you'll discover a lot of this has already been discussed.

Well I wasn't going even open the Atv4 and just sell it for as much as I can for brand new on ebay or Craigslist. That's why I'm asking. If I open and test it out it'll be sold as used. Which is why I'm asking if I'm missing anything by not keeping it.

As for searching through old threads. In the last year they've improved many of the features of the Atv4. So if I look at a post from 6 months to a year from now the issues people have with the Atv4 might not be valid any more.

benjitek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
...If I open and test it out it'll be sold as used. Which is why I'm asking if I'm missing anything by not keeping it.
It's been out so long now there are so many reviews, both written and video, that you don't have to open it. Just browsing through the MacRumors forums will provide an extensive pro vs. con library. MacRumors has a great comprehensive review. Regardless of when MacRumors wrote the review, it's regularly updated -- as it was yesterday.

ATV.png

Last edited:

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
It's been out so long now there are so many reviews, both written and video, that you don't have to open it. Just browsing through the MacRumors forums will provide an extensive pro vs. con library. MacRumors has a great comprehensive review.

Which also states not to buy... I've read plenty of reviews, last year when it came out I wasn't impressed and I didn't get it. I'm looking for current user opinions.

As I said in the original post. I haven't seen anything the Atv4 does that I my plethora of devices can't do already. Which is why I'm asking now and not reading reviews written 6 months to a year ago. There are no reviews from 4th quarter of 2016 and I don't expect there to be. But they COULD have updated it with new features IE like how Messenger on the iPhones has apps now.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Just got the Atv4 today. Still deciding. Any more voters? I could use the help. Wish DtvN would have been on Roku right off the bat. Would have made the decision easier.

winstars

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2015
Just got the Atv4 today. Still deciding. Any more voters? I could use the help. Wish DtvN would have been on Roku right off the bat. Would have made the decision easier.

Get a case for the remote straight away.

That alone will eliminate minor yet bothersome issues for you...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.