ATV 4 Waking up by itself

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by tromboneaholic, Nov 2, 2015.

1. tromboneaholic macrumors 6502a

tromboneaholic

Got the ATV 4 Friday. It didn't happen Friday night or Saturday night, but on Sunday the ATV 4 kept waking up by itself and turning on the TV.

I checked the remote and controller to make sure they weren't being activated in some way.

Anyone else experience this or have any ideas why it might happen?

2. tlaw81 macrumors member

3. tlaw81 macrumors member

Quick question....Are you using a wireless or wired Internet connection?

4. jonoakden macrumors newbie

I saw this too last night and i am on a wireless connection

5. tromboneaholic thread starter macrumors 6502a

tromboneaholic

Wired Ethernet.

6. ant69 macrumors regular

ant69

I'm also seeing this issue with my Vizio tv, turns it on randomly.

7. retrospek macrumors 6502a

retrospek

I'm having the same issues. I come down in the morning and my Sony TV is switched on :) Never had this problem before ... So must be the ATV4

8. dugbug macrumors 65816

dugbug

I resolved this with my panasonic viera. In the menu of the viera for my home theater it allows you to configure what the default output for sound per input device (i.e TV audio or receiver). This is an ARC/HDMI-CEC thing.

If I select 'TV audio' all is good.
    If I select 'Home Theater' then the Apple TV (and TV-et-al) wakes up after about 5 minutes of being asleep.

I think the equipment just gets a little overloaded with all the options.

I should point out that the home theater is still used for audio out... I really don't know what this option does but it definitely is a direct cause of my problem.

9. Twimfy macrumors 6502a

Twimfy

ARC is what allows your TV to send audio back down the HDMI cable connected to the ARC enabled socket to your audio system and then in combination with CEC you can control the home cinema with your TV remote. All other audio sources can go down to this one HDMI lead as well.

A lot of people with serious audio setups will use ARC and CEC so it might not be an option to disable it to fix this issue and Apple probably need to do something about it.

It was a problem for me as I used to rely on ARC and CEC so instead I invested in an HDMI switcher with a COAX/Optical audio splitter built in. Best. Purchase. Ever. The random wakes up have stopped and I benefit from cleaner audio rather than sending everything through my rather cheaply made TV.

10. dugbug macrumors 65816

dugbug

I know what ARC is I have used it for many years. I don't know why that TV setting resulted in the ATV powering itself on (or perhaps the TV was doing so) every 5-10 minutes.

11. EatRiceInCal macrumors newbie

I'm also having this issue and it does appear to be random. I didn't have the problem at night but in the morning it just wouldn't stay off. I would put the ATV to sleep and it comes back on shortly after. Quite annoying.

12. prestigetone macrumors newbie

Can confirm this was happening to me as well. Took it to the store and they swapped it no questions asked. Not happening now which makes me think it is the hardware...to those thinking it might be fixed in software.

13. Gueeds macrumors member

I've seen it happen randomly my remote is on the table so I know I'm not touching it or pressing any buttons.

14. prestigetone macrumors newbie

Yes, its not the remote being jiggled. The new unit I got has much faster wake up times too. I would advise returning it unless you can wait to see if 9.1 fixes it.

15. tromboneaholic thread starter macrumors 6502a

tromboneaholic

As an update, it hasn't happened again since Sunday night, so it's hard to troubleshoot.

16. mouthster macrumors regular

It was happening on mine but this morning before I left for work I disabled all the "Send Diagnostics to Apple" stuff under the Privacy settings and disabled ad tracking as well. When I got home everything was off like it should be so maybe that helped.

17. mostlycharlie macrumors newbie

mostlycharlie

I turned off ad tracking and noticed that the problem went away. Who knows if that was actually the issue, but before I couldn't get the Apple TV to stay asleep. With ad tracking off, it does. Probably just a bug that Apple needs to fix.

18. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

19. ajiuo macrumors 65816

Mine would turn on about 5 seconds after everything shut down. I closed all opened apps and it stopped

20. tromboneaholic thread starter macrumors 6502a

tromboneaholic

I have been doing this too out of habit and haven't had the Apple TV turn on by itself in a few days. You could be on to something.

21. Grumpyman macrumors regular

Grumpyman

same here, woke up this morning, TV on Receiver on... will try work arounds as suggested.

22. ajiuo macrumors 65816

Another thing that causes this is if you have an iPhone or whatever that is pointed to airplay on the Apple TV.

23. frankdogg macrumors regular

frankdogg

in my experience, if you have an app open/video on and go to sleep, the Apple TV might come back on. When I exit to the main app page and sleep from there, no problem.