Atv 4K advice

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by seanw1990, Feb 5, 2019.

1. seanw1990 macrumors newbie

seanw1990

hi looking for some advice I currently have an Apple TV 4K in my living room
    Connected to a Sony X900F I sit roughly 7 feet from the tv , I was wondering is the uhd disc that much better with the higher bit rate etc than the 4K films on the atv 4K or should I stick with the Apple TV and buying the discs for titles not on iTunes , I live in the uk so we don’t have movies anywhere or Vudu here , I have a firestick in the bedroom but was possibly going to buy a second hand 4th gen Apple TV so I can enjoy my purchases in either room bedroom is only a 1080p tv so no need for a 2nd 4K box , or should I sell the atv 4K and go all disc , I should note me and my partner both have iPhone and a household iPad to share the purchases also I would be playing the discs on my Xbox one x which is upstairs so for the purpose of viewing a disc I would have to move it up and down accordingly

Thanks for any advice in advance much appreciated

2. Matthew Essex macrumors member

Matthew Essex

The Apple TV in 4K produces a very good picture and now with atmos we can get some nice sound as well. The UHD discs are better quality and in terms of audio much better due to the uncompressed soundtracks But the difference isn’t night and day.
    I have an LG oled connected to a 5.1.2 in ceiling atmos setup and I’m very happy with the quality the Apple TV outputs.

3. seanw1990 thread starter macrumors newbie

seanw1990

Thanks for the reply mate ! Yes I’m also extremely happy with the Apple TV picture just threw me off reading different views online , as for audio I only have a Sony stereo soundbar so I wouldn’t get the great benefit of the lossless audio as it stands , so you think buying a Apple TV 4th gen second hand for the bedroom is a good idea ? I want everything to be on the same ecosystem I don’t want to buy digital content on amazon and iTunes I would rather keep it one platform

4. Matthew Essex macrumors member

Matthew Essex

We have an Apple TV for the bedroom as well.
    The nice Benifit is the same user interface and app layout no matter the make of TV. Also the shared home screens of the Apple TV means if you download an app or change the layout in the living room then it’s updated on the bedroom Apple TV as well.
    Apple TVs are expensive but I’d still recommend them to you.

5. Audit13 macrumors 68040

Audit13

The picture from the ATV 4K is really good when compared to the physical disc; however, the HD audio from a disc will beat the audio from an ATV.

Youtube link: