ATV 4K and Siri

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by scouser75, Mar 11, 2018.

1. scouser75 macrumors 65816

Guys, is the receiver for Siri located within the remote or on the actual ATV?

I tried using Siri last night and it wouldn't respond. I have my ATV located in the hallway, which is about 15ft away from where I use it.

2. Rigby macrumors 601

You mean the microphone? It's in the remote. But of course the remote has to be in Bluetooth range of the ATV to be able to transmit the voice commands.

3. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks Rigby. I can control my ATV easily using the remote, so does that mean it's within bluetooth range for Siri control?

4. Rigby macrumors 601

Yes it should. Transmitting voice takes more bandwidth than button presses, so I guess it's theoretically possible that buttons might still work when Siri doesn't if you're borderline out of range.

5. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks Rigby. Done a reset and almost working well. However, should Siri speak? I only get an answer on the tele but no voice!

6. -Gonzo- macrumors 6502

-Gonzo-

No, Siri only speaks on an iOS device and the HomePod.

7. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 65816

Strange. I can't see any logical sense in not having voice. Still, I never use it so not bothered.

8. -Gonzo- macrumors 6502

-Gonzo-

What use would voice be, for the most part I’d imagine Siri is only used to search for a Movie/TV show and then shows you if it’s available and via what service you can play it back from.

Anyhow here’s what Siri does in AppleTV
    Siri

9. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks Gonzo.

10. cynics macrumors G4

They dont want Siri talking over audio stream when you can visually see results (redundant). A command like "what did he say?" when siri rewinds, turns on subtitles momentarily but proceeds to talk over what you are listening too...ya that would be a problem.