ATV 4K Inconsistent WiFi

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by dsmith5991, Oct 7, 2017.

1. dsmith5991 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

Got my new Apple TV about a week ago and have been noticing (using the SpeedTest app) that the download speed can sometimes be average for my location (about 30mbps). However, more often than not, it drops to an abysmal 3 mbps or even lower.

This makes it impossible to watch anything in 4K. I should say that everything else in the house works perfectly all the time with the WiFi, like the iPad Air 2 and my iPhone 7. My smart TV which sits right beside the Apple TV is also able to get a stable connection speed.

I’ve tried moving the Apple TV around the house in order to try and eliminate interference but have had no luck. It seems like Ethernet cables should be my next course of action, but why should I spend £180 on an Apple TV if I’m not able to use the WiFi as advertised? It’s also not really convenient to trail the cables around.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is causing this?

Thanks!

2. Donfor39 macrumors 65816

Donfor39

What network level does aptv report.
    E,g, I have 3 bars-solid4k rental last night-no stuttering or probs at all.
    I have upto 40mbs Sky Fibre though my home speed is closer to 30mbs as I don’t use master socket.
    I did notice my previous apple tv 2 or 3 did slow down broadband at the time.
    No slowdown with apv4k at all.
    Are you maybe affected by your enviorment.
    Certainly try via ethernet 1st where you normaly place your aptv -if that works then you maybe have to think of possible sources of interference when using wifi -even another device in the same room-you could try switching everything off and re try aptv on it’s own.
    Not being funnny, have you got another tv in another room-just trying to rule our your smart t.v. Interfering.
    Almost forgot -have you tried switching your wifi channel -e.g. I use ch36-I know it’s not being used by neighbours etc.

3. StarShot macrumors 6502a

StarShot

How would one "switch" their wifi channel?

4. Donfor39 macrumors 65816

Donfor39

Forgot which app I used search WiFi channel scanner. Shows channs you and neighbours are using.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 8, 2017 ---
    The switch will be via your router settings.
    Which I can access from http://192.168.0.1/
    --- Post Merged, Oct 8, 2017 ---
    Current wifi channs i’m using
    9 (2.4 GHz), 36 (5 GHz)

5. daflake macrumors 6502a

Has to be done on your router... How you change it depends on the router you have.