ATV 4K on non 4K TV and receiver

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by scouser75, Jan 17, 2018.

1. scouser75 macrumors 65816

Guys, is it possible to connect an ATV 4K to an Onkyo 3010 AVR which doesn't have 4K pass - through (but does have 4K upscaling)? And also, if it is possible to connect it, what quality would I get on a non-4K TV?

Unfortunately, I can't connect any additional cables to enable 4K pass-through as all my AVR is in the hallway and my TV is in the living room.

2. Rigby macrumors 601

Yes. The ATV4k will automatically adjust to a display mode that both the AVR and the TV support (presumably 1080p in this case). HDMI devices signal their capabilities to the source (EDID).

3. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks Rigby. So the fact that I don't have 4K pass-through on my receiver won't affect me connecting the ATV to it and getting picture and audio on my TV?

4. priitv8 macrumors 68040

No, but you would not get 4K content. aTV will provide 1080p version of the video, that your AVR will upscale.
    I personally would make a direct connection to TV's UHD port, if at all possible.
    That is to get a verbatim UHD stream from aTV 4K and do not have any down/upconversions.

5. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks mate. Unfortunately, my TV is about 15 feet away from my AVR. If I connect the ATV direct to my TV I won't be able to utilise the sound from my Onkyo AVR.

6. Beerstalker macrumors 6502

What TV do you have? If it supports HDMI ARC then you may be able to hook the Apple TV 4K up directly to the TV and use the HDMI ARC function to send the audio signal out of the TV to your AV receiver.

Some TVs will only use HDMI ARC to send audio from the TV tuner or the TV's smart apps. Other TVs will take the audio from the other HDMI inputs and send them back out the HDMI ARC input.

We need to know the TV model number in order to figure out what HDMI ports you have to use on it for this to work, if it will.

7. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the help dude. The TV is this one https://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/58PFL...bilight-spectra-3-and-perfect-pixel-hd-engine

8. Rigby macrumors 601

I'm not sure what the issue is? That's a 1080p TV. You won't gain anything by directly connecting it to the ATV.

9. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 65816

I have an issue with my Amazon Firestick, which if I connect it to my Onkyo AVR I get no picture or sound. I therefore have to connect it direct to my TV and forego surround sound. I fear this may also happen with the ATV.

10. priitv8 macrumors 68040

Whether you will be able to get surround sound will in that case depend on your television. Dolby Digital 5.1 passthrough should be fairly common and works even over optical out. DTS core stream should be the same, but its passthrough support in televisiom sets is more limited than DD5.1

11. Rigby macrumors 601

I think the OP wants to pass the video and audio through the AVR, not use ARC (which would require an additional long cable in this case).
    --- Post Merged, Jan 21, 2018 ---
    That is weird. The 3010 should easily handle anything a Firestick puts out. How are you powering the stick?

12. priitv8 macrumors 68040

Now I see. In that case the options are constrained to FullHD only.

13. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 65816

The Firestick is powered via mains socket. I plug it into one of the rear HDMI sockets in the same way I do my blu ray player and Sky TV box. But after having tried for almost a year and many many different ways, the firestick just will not play video or sound.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 23, 2018 ---
    Thanks boys for the advice on this one. I might just buy an ATV and try if it works. If not, I'll just return it until such time I can justify a new AVR.

14. priitv8 macrumors 68040

If your main problem is long HDMI connection from AVR to screen, then have you tried a signal booster?
    https://nerdtechy.com/best-hdmi-signal-amplifier-boosters

15. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 65816

16. Beerstalker macrumors 6502

If you don't have any issues with your Blu-Ray player, or Sky TV box going thru your AV Receiver, then I highly doubt you will have any issue with the Apple TV doing the same. I probably wouldn't worry about an HDMI signal amplifier. You really shouldn't need one at 15 feet. They usually aren't needed until you are travelling 30+ feet.

Hard telling why you would be having issues with the FireTV stick if you were plugging it into it's own power source. I could see maybe having issues if it was trying to power itself off the HDMI port.

17. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 65816

Very odd, I agree. I'm going to try the fire stick on the AVR again this weekend.

18. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 65816

Guys, I managed to connect my brand new ATV 4K to my Onkyo TXNR 3010 and it connected fine.

I'm running the following:

Format - 1080p SDR 50Hz
    HDMI Output - YCbCr
    Match Content - Range

What do you guys think about these settings?

19. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 65816

Guys may I please bump this up. In case it makes a difference, I'm in the uk.

20. priitv8 macrumors 68040

"Match Content - Range" makes only sense for a HDR screen. Your Philips is the "old school" screen (SDR), so only match framerate will matter for your setup.
    Otherwise your settings are ok.