ATV and Denon 3808

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by pezram, Feb 14, 2015.

1. pezram macrumors newbie

I have an ATV generation 2 and 3 the 3 was working fine through my HDMI DVR port on the denon. All of sudden a week ago the ATV stopped showing on my TV. I have checked the assignments and they seem to be correct. I tried my generation 2 same problem. When I boot the ATV I can see the apple logo on my TV as it loads but then nothing. I have connected directly to the TV and it works fine. Any help would be appreciated.

2. dapetrun macrumors regular

dapetrun

Sounds like your Denon is at fault. I am experiencing something similar with my Oppo Blu-ray and Dennon X4000. I had configured to use the Blu-ray HDMI port for my DVR to play thru the Denon to the TV (temporarily). Then when I received more cables from MonoPrice I reassigned all HDMI ports correctly but the Blu-ray signals won't go thru the Denon to the TV. Wired Blu-ray directly to TV works fine but not going thru the Denon. I'm pretty darn sure that if I (you/we) reset the Denon(s) back to factory defaults and start the setup process over the problems will be resolved. I don't think your problem is with the AppleTV's nor is mine with the Oppo Blu-ray player. Good luck.

3. QWERTYMac7 macrumors regular

SOME HDMI cables are one-way - if you just added some new cables you might try to 'flip' it/them around.

Just a thought.

4. pezram thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried that no luck but thanks for the response.

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Seems the Denon has an HDCP issue on its HDMI. Can you try a DVD player on that HDMI port?

Last year or B-stock Denons can often be bought for less than a repair. The Audessy upgrade is well worth the new investment.

6. pezram thread starter macrumors newbie

Not familiar with the Audessy upgrade is it and upgrade for the denon or a whole new system?

7. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I went from a Denon 4802 to a 2113ci mostly for the HDMI connectivity, but it was the Audessy surround sound that impressed me the most. Of course AirPlay was nice but redundant since I have an ATV3 connected to it.

On some high end older Denons it was a paid firmware update but it really needed the more recent DSPs that current Denon & Marantz offer.

8. pezram thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried to put dvd on port get sound but no picture, Would the audessey upgrade help with video. Looks like its more for audio?

9. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Seems like your 3808 has a duff HDMI port.

Audessey is audio processing and calibration. No change in image quality, but upscaling is rubbish anyway.

10. blujacket macrumors newbie

Do a receiver reset. I have same receiver, have had to reset in past for same issues.