Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nREMfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2010
My ATV has stopped booting, and I only get the flashing yellow light. I've tried getting to the diagnostics screen through the remote, but no luck. The device flashes immediately on boot, and won't even display an image to the TV.

So my question, is there anyway to externally boot the machine via USB? I feel my symptom is a software issue (I can hear the HD spinning down when I unplug it) so I'm trying to get a way to reinstall the software. I would even be willing to put in a new drive - if I had an image to work with. Also, the ATV is out of warranty, and I don't live in an area that has an Apple Store. So I'm stuck.

Any advice/help? Thanks.

tom1971

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
You could try to fix the boot partition using a patchstick.
Probably the only thing that is left.

nREMfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2010
Well that didn't work either.

My problem is, I can't get it to boot to "anything". It won't recognize the remote button (menu/ - ), the internal drive or the patchstick I created that has a boot on it. As soon as it is plugged in, it goes to "flashing yellow". It never shows another color light, just a flashing yellow as soon as it is plugged in. And of course, no signal to the TV.

Poop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.