aTV bring down home wifi?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by jmor, Feb 12, 2010.

1. jmor macrumors 6502

We recently moved into our new house and had a friend set up our internet who works in computers which was great because our old internet used to go down and have to be reset at least once a day. It has been working great up until the last two months which was right around the time of the apple tv purchase. Our apple tv connects over wifi because in its current location it cannot be wired, but it often will not sync with itunes and when the atv is being used internet in the rest of the house is terribly slow and more often than not completely unusable and down. We have been having to restart the entire internet system, unplugging everything again and its a pain in the a$$ quite frankly. Is it possible that the atv is causing the internet to go down? and if so, how could that be fixed? thanks

2. TheSoundshaper macrumors newbie

It could be that you have too much stuff hooked up to your wifi for example video game consoles, computers, iphone, etc. Some WiFi base stations can only have a few things hooked up. It also could be that your base station doesnt support the correct Wifi settings for the apple TV 10/100 BASE T 802.11a/b/g/n. Also you have broadband internet right?

3. jlindley macrumors newbie

Picture your home network like your house plumbling..

If you turn on all of your faucets in the house and then go around and flush the toilets then the water will slow to a drip, right? That is how your home network works also.

All that said, I'm not sure why you would have to "restart the entire internet system"... At most I think restarting your router should do the trick. (but that really shouldn't even have to be done)

4. jmor thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I believe it is broadband or i assume so anyway and I think it must support the :apple:tv as it worked when we first synced it, but it basically decides when it will sync which is maybe about half the time. Also, we have a wii and PS3 but neither have been hooked up to the internet (yet) and we had an xbox 360 connected to the internet that was brought back to college. I use my iPhone on wifi sometimes plus two other laptops and occassionally another iPhone or computer but not too much usage on anything other than the two laptops and when we use the :apple:tv but maybe that is too much ? And yes, that is the real problem, I reset the two boxes by unplugging them for about two minutes then plug back in and the internet starts working again for the laptops (which I had to do mid-post as the internet just went down, and a unplug/replug gets it working again ?) I'm baffled as to why it works or why it has to be restarted and that's what I want to avoid, and stop altogether. So I'm not sure what I can do to stop this, anything I can do or buy?