ATV doesn't play AC3 from HB encoded files

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by mac.jedi, Mar 20, 2008.

1. mac.jedi macrumors 6502

I've been searching the forums and haven't found any information on how to troubleshoot this issue.

My ATV2 is connected to a receiver via Toslink. I've ripped a few dvd's using HB's latest and greatest ATV preset, but the ATV is only passing the DPLII audio track.

The ATV2 intro shows 5.1 on the receiver and I believe HD rentals are working as well.

Any thoughts?

2. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

I'd try the handbrake forums myself, but my first question is did you remember to name the file with an m4v extention?

3. dynaflash macrumors 68020

make sure you see "AVC/H.264 Video / AAC + AC3 Audio" in the Codecs menu when you select the AppleTV Preset. As well verify in the audio tab that your Source audio for track one has a AC3 5.1 track selected, otherwise HB will just pass thru however many channels your source has.

Make sure you used Presets -> Update Built In Presets after you updated so you are using the latest presets.

4. mac.jedi thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! That did the trick. I didn't realize you had to update the presets separately from the app.

Know any way to convert my old MP4 files created using the old preset (AC3 5.1 track 1; DPLII track 2) to the AAC+AC3 Audio codec?

5. MikieMikie macrumors 6502a

There's no way to do this. The AC3 data does not exist in your older MP4 files. All new files you create with the AAC+AC3 preset include that audio track in addition to the DPLII.

I'm in the same boat, as is everyone else here. Re-rip and re-encode.