aTV Flash or not?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Felisk, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Felisk macrumors newbie

Okay, so I got my ATV a couple of months ago and right now I have it streaming from my MacPro's iTunes library and synced with my MBP iTunes. Its disapointing the limitations that this things has out of the box, so I started looking for ways to enhance it on forums and websites. Found out about boxee, and other popular hacks. I am not very handy when it comes to modifying codes or stuff like, so I am looking for something easy to install.

I came across this website:

http://www.atvflash.com/

Then sell you (for $50 bucks) an installer to put on a flash drive to then install on the ATV it does look very easy to do. They claim that it will allow you to play diferent video in different formats like DivX, Xvid, AVI, WMV, RMVB and more. Not only that but it comes with software like boxee, couch surfer and a handfull of codecs. You can play DVD files without making self contained movies and more stuff that you can see on the link above.

So my question is.... Is this worth the $50 bucks? Has anyone used this before? if so how do like it?

and also what happens when there's a software update from apple??

Thank you for you input, and if there's something better than this out there please let me know!

2. spice weasel macrumors 65816

Just create your own atv flash and install Boxee. All free and very easy to do. The hardest part is pulling the plug out of your ATV.

ATV software updates will kill Boxee. Then the good people who work on these things come up with solutions and let the rest of us know about them. The 2.3 update only set people back a few days.

atvusb creator

Couch Surfer