ATV Flash Query.

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by SimonGarlick, Feb 2, 2010.

1. SimonGarlick macrumors member

Hi, I recently got Apple TV, and I'm curious about ATV Flash. I'm very tempted to install ATV Flash, as it seems to add far more functionality to the set-up, but I've just got a few questions, before I hit the download button.

Has anyone from the UK got any experience of using ATV Flash? The reason I ask, is I'm wondering if media players such as Sky Player, BBC iPlayer, and the 4OD YouTube channel work through Couch Surfer? Or do they require plugins not available for ATV Flash? I also use the Remote App to navigate my Apple TV, as this makes the laborious task of typing search criteria, a real doddle, does anyone know if I can use the iPod Remote App to type in URL's into Couch Surfer?

Thanks for any help.

Regards,
    Simon

2. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

I have ATV Flash and live in the UK, although I don't know for sure if you can go to those sites, I'm fairly confident you can. I can say for certain that you can use the remote app, as I have used it, but I actually prefer to use Air Mouse. YMMV.

3. SimonGarlick thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. I notice ATV Flash comes with Boxee too. Being in the UK what kind of content can we view? Just wondered if you can access US TV shows etc?

Thanks again,
    Simon

4. NexusEclipse macrumors newbie

ATV Flash bit of a rip off

There is an easy to use free program called ATVUSB creator. Recommend you try that before shelling out to someone who essentially copied the project. It also installs XBMC and Boxee as well as SSH and a third party menu for other popular applications (NitoTV, etc.) Try it, if you fail its very easy to factory restore and you can throw down for the ATV Flash.

5. tom1971 macrumors 6502a

If you go for a paid solution, check out patchstick.ca - they offer an openvpn integration, so you can access US sites in the UK using a vpn connection.
    They also offer a free base version that you can test before comitting to buy.

6. jlasoon macrumors 6502

I installed it about 3 weeks ago and just got rid of it yesterday. Not worth it. Brought my :apple:TV to a crawl. I never used any of the features that came with it. Totally ruins the apple experience if you ask me. Don't bother.

7. SimonGarlick thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the advice and opinions on this... It's given me plenty to consider. I think ideally I'm looking to be able to use Apple TV to surf the web and view the before mentioned media players, such as BBC iPlayer, Sky Player and so on... As I understand it, you can't view 4OD content through YouTube using the YouTube feature on Apple TV. Does anyone know if this is the case?

Thanks again...

8. milkfan4 macrumors newbie

Never had that issue. ATV Flash and Couch Surfer are working flawlessly for me.

9. SimonGarlick thread starter macrumors member

Hi milkfan, have you had any experience of using Couch Surfer to view media players such as BBC iPlayer etc (apology's if you're not from the UK)?

Thanks...

10. ceraz macrumors member

The basic idea of patching the ATV is to by-pass iTunes so you can direclty interface with a USB disks or a NAS and be able to play other file formats than those offered by Apple.

I used usbcreator without a glitch ... but more importantly if don't need the the added functionality don't bother.

11. milkfan4 macrumors newbie

Sorry, I'm in the US so I don't know. I typically use the browser for sites like ebay and Facebook...don't do much with video streaming. The iPhone remote app works VERY well for browsing though.

12. tom1971 macrumors 6502a

Couchsurfer still does not handle Flash properly, despite several promises from atvflash. So you are out of luck regarding iplayer.
    You also need a working openvpn integration, hat atvflash does not provide.

13. SimonGarlick thread starter macrumors member

Hi tom, am I right in thinking that ATV Flash also lets you install Firefox? If so, is this any better at handling Flash on ATV?

Thanks again...

14. tom1971 macrumors 6502a

AFAIK atvflash does not include firefox anymore, patchstick.ca does.

15. milkfan4 macrumors newbie

ATV FLASH has an option for Firefox...but Couch Surfer is a much nicer experience in my opinion.

16. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

I agree, I also have Boxee/XMBC on my :apple:TV. I have not had any problems at all, it's great best of all it's free!

The only problem for me is I live in Canada so there is a fair amount of content that I can't access due to my location.

17. MrMister111 macrumors 68000

I have an Apple TV, live in UK and have just recently got ATV Flash. Reason I bought it was ease of use, updates etc rather than have to mess about spending time but of course everyone has a choice.

I only recently started to mess about but I have files (avi's, DivX) streaming wirelessly fine to Apple TV.

I installed Boxee to, set to UK region and can access BBC iplayer fine. I can't find 4OD though on it. I can access Hulu feeds but most videos don't play due to not in region (USA). I'm busy trying to make sense of all this VPN stuff to get Hulu content from USA etc, as could then watch Lost, 24 etc.

It looks like need a subscription to a VPN service which I'm. Bit disapointed with this as don't want to spend even more money after Apple TV and ATV Flash and a NAS drive but unsure what else to do.

So apart from not getting Hulu feeds (which seem to be best for video feeds) all seems good so far

let me know how you get on, what you learn and any help I can give you, or you can give me

cheers

18. tom1971 macrumors 6502a

You need an open vpn subscription. Check this

19. MrMister111 macrumors 68000

seems a right detailed/mess on to do this. reason I bought ATV Flash was ease of use.

I'm a little disappointed that I cant use hulu or whatever other services on my UK Apple TV without a subscription to a VPN thing.

What exactly can I watch on the Apple TV with ATV Flash/Boxee? what is allowed? I know I have got BBC iPlayer to work, but is there any other useful stuff? if so where can I get it/whats do I do please?

cheers

20. mattsswellhouse macrumors newbie

ATV Flash performance depends on Location?

Hi, I'm considering ATVFlash also.

I'm a Brit working in Europe, with an under active Apple TV.

Am I right to assume, ATVFlash gives a location shield/proxy emulating the USA, so I could then access streaming US tv sites as if I was in USA...
    BUT I still won't be able to watch the BBC iPlayer, as it only works to UK locales, right?

Any solutions where the proxy can be switched to emulate different countries of origin?