ATV for a Macbook Air Owner

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by chayes, Feb 26, 2012.

1. chayes macrumors member

I was wondering if my fellow Apple users are Macbook Air owners?

I wish I could use my Macbook Air to hook to my TV and play video's directly, but until they make a Thunderbolt to HDMI cable, it looks like I'm stuck till Mountain Lion comes out when I can Airplay from my Air to an ATV.

Other than using the ATV for Airplay, I am currently disappointed the Apples pricing/definition of movies in iTunes and don't believe I will be purchasing any movies from itunes.I would expect 3.99 for HD movies at 1080P but for 720p I'd rather pay a dollar less on Vudu.

Also, where is Hulu and Vudu? Why doesn't the Apple TV have them? I'm surprised that ATV doesn't have any sort of "App" store to add Apps such as Hulu to stream from ATV

2. simsaladimbamba

You can use any MDP to HDMI adapter:
    You can stream from the Apple TV the content stored on your MBA or accessible on your MBA's iTunes.

No need for AirPlay yet, though it seems to make it a lot easier.

3. JUiCEJamie macrumors 6502a

JUiCEJamie

Do you have an iPad? the only thing I can think of would be to get an app on an iPad that acts as a second monitor. Then mirror your iPad to your ATV?

4. kolax macrumors G3

All you need is a MiniDisplay Port to HDMI adapter. Can get one for around $20. There is a MiniDisplay Port to HDMI cable too, but they aren't too easy to get a hold of.

I have a 5m HDMI cable and a MiniDisplay Port to HDMI adapter. Works a great.

For video use, Thunderbolt is Mini DisplayPort.

5. chayes thread starter macrumors member

I did not know the Thunderbolt port was ALSO a Minidisplay port.

/facepalm.

6. kolax macrumors G3

Yeah, that's how you can daisy chain a collection of external hard drives, speakers and displays all from one port. I'm glad Apple kept the Mini DisplayPort connector for Thunderbolt, I'd imagine if they had changed it, Thunderbolt to HDMI adapters would be far more expensive than Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapters.

7. urkel macrumors 68030

Hulu? Vudu? Streaming content from computer? Sounds like a PS3 would be a good solution for you.

8. chayes thread starter macrumors member

I have an Xbox 360, much better than a PS3.

But if I have an ATV, I'd much rather just use that for when my wife and I are doing Airplay/watching movies and leave the Xbox just to gaming.

9. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

or you can jailbreak it and look at the thread on how to get Hulu, it works amazing!

10. Spencie macrumors regular

Spencie