Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chayes

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
I was wondering if my fellow Apple users are Macbook Air owners?

I wish I could use my Macbook Air to hook to my TV and play video's directly, but until they make a Thunderbolt to HDMI cable, it looks like I'm stuck till Mountain Lion comes out when I can Airplay from my Air to an ATV.

Other than using the ATV for Airplay, I am currently disappointed the Apples pricing/definition of movies in iTunes and don't believe I will be purchasing any movies from itunes.I would expect 3.99 for HD movies at 1080P but for 720p I'd rather pay a dollar less on Vudu.

Also, where is Hulu and Vudu? Why doesn't the Apple TV have them? I'm surprised that ATV doesn't have any sort of "App" store to add Apps such as Hulu to stream from ATV

Nov 28, 2010
located
You can use any MDP to HDMI adapter:
Mini DisplayPort (MDP) / Thunderbolt
Mini DisplayPort is the current digital standard on all current Macs to transfer video to an external display or TV. It has been introduced in 10/2008 with the release of the Unibody MacBook and MacBook Pros and has gradually been adopted on all other Macs.
MDP is capable of transmitting video, and since 2010, audio too. MDP is a miniaturised version of DisplayPort. It is also license free and can support resolutions of up to 2560 x 1600, which Mini DVI and Micro DVI are not able to do.
Since 2011, all Macs come with a Thunderbolt port, which is meant for fast data transfer and also as means to connect to an external display device to mirror or extend the Mac's screen.
To learn more about Thunderbolt (TB) and its compatibility with Mini DisplayPort (MDP): Introducing Thunderbolt
MR_video_out_Mac_Mini_DP.png
MDP adapters and cables can be bought online from:

Also of interest: "What is "Mini DisplayPort"? Is it an industry-standard? How is it different from or better than Mini-DVI and Micro-DVI?"

You can stream from the Apple TV the content stored on your MBA or accessible on your MBA's iTunes.

No need for AirPlay yet, though it seems to make it a lot easier.

JUiCEJamie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
I was wondering if my fellow Apple users are Macbook Air owners?

I wish I could use my Macbook Air to hook to my TV and play video's directly, but until they make a Thunderbolt to HDMI cable, it looks like I'm stuck till Mountain Lion comes out when I can Airplay from my Air to an ATV.

Other than using the ATV for Airplay, I am currently disappointed the Apples pricing/definition of movies in iTunes and don't believe I will be purchasing any movies from itunes.I would expect 3.99 for HD movies at 1080P but for 720p I'd rather pay a dollar less on Vudu.

Also, where is Hulu and Vudu? Why doesn't the Apple TV have them? I'm surprised that ATV doesn't have any sort of "App" store to add Apps such as Hulu to stream from ATV

Do you have an iPad? the only thing I can think of would be to get an app on an iPad that acts as a second monitor. Then mirror your iPad to your ATV?

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007

All you need is a MiniDisplay Port to HDMI adapter. Can get one for around $20. There is a MiniDisplay Port to HDMI cable too, but they aren't too easy to get a hold of.

I have a 5m HDMI cable and a MiniDisplay Port to HDMI adapter. Works a great.

For video use, Thunderbolt is Mini DisplayPort.

chayes

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
All you need is a MiniDisplay Port to HDMI adapter. Can get one for around $20. There is a MiniDisplay Port to HDMI cable too, but they aren't too easy to get a hold of.

I have a 5m HDMI cable and a MiniDisplay Port to HDMI adapter. Works a great.

For video use, Thunderbolt is Mini DisplayPort.

I did not know the Thunderbolt port was ALSO a Minidisplay port.

/facepalm.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I did not know the Thunderbolt port was ALSO a Minidisplay port.

/facepalm.

Yeah, that's how you can daisy chain a collection of external hard drives, speakers and displays all from one port. I'm glad Apple kept the Mini DisplayPort connector for Thunderbolt, I'd imagine if they had changed it, Thunderbolt to HDMI adapters would be far more expensive than Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapters.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Hulu? Vudu? Streaming content from computer? Sounds like a PS3 would be a good solution for you.

chayes

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
Hulu? Vudu? Streaming content from computer? Sounds like a PS3 would be a good solution for you.

I have an Xbox 360, much better than a PS3.

But if I have an ATV, I'd much rather just use that for when my wife and I are doing Airplay/watching movies and leave the Xbox just to gaming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.