ATV For HomeKit Hub

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Itinj24, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Itinj24 macrumors member

If it can be used a Hub, how do you keep it from turning off for remote HomeKit control?

Do I keep my TV running 24/7 or is there a setting?

Thanks

2. priitv8 macrumors 68040

3. Itinj24 thread starter macrumors member

That’s what I thought is supposed to happen but my HomeKit is saying the ATV is unresponsive and the white power led turns off, even if I leave it plugged into power and connected to the TV via HDMI, but TV is off.

4. waw74 macrumors 68040

does it show up when the TV is on?

is your network "strange" (more than one router, or other devices upstream of you)

there is no home kit setting on the aTV, as long as you're plugged into power, connected to the internet (via wired or wireless) and logged into your appleID, it should be working.

try rebooting your router and the aTV,

it would be pretty silly for apple to make a device that allows you to access your home when you're not there, and to have that device automatically shut itself down when you're not home.

5. Michelasso macrumors 6502

Michelasso

I'm not sure I understand. let's clarify: HomeKit runs on the Apple TV even with the Apple TV in stand-by (white led off). I know because it works for me. This because in "sleep mode" the system is still running (although only partially). It's the same with the Macs and iPhones, they can still receive messages (and the Mac even do a Time Machine backup if plugged) even if they are sleeping.

Said that I had issues at the beginning with HomeKit myself as well. What I did has been to restart the HomeKit/Airplay configuration in the ATV from scratch.Then it worked, also with the ATV in standby.

6. Itinj24 thread starter macrumors member

It appears to be working now. I have 2 IPads always on that are also set up to be Home Hubs so they may have taken precedence. Thanks for the help and replies.