ATV Hard Disk size recommendation

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Mike in Kansas, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

If I understand the Apple Store correctly, the only difference between the two current models of the ATV is the hard disk size, correct? I am considering getting one, and want to be sure I'm not shooting myself in the foot by getting the one with the smaller drive.

Right now I have an iMac that is always on and connected to my wireless G network. Therefore, I can either stream iTunes movies directly from the iMac, or worst case, synch the movies to the ATV temporarily. If I have a large amount of network storage capacity, is there any reason I should consider the ATV with the larger hard drive? AM I missing any obvious issues?

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Streaming works fine for all but high-def content. 720p at 6,000 kbps stutters on occasion with 802.11n, so with g it'll even be worse. If you plan to put 720p content to you ATV, the larger drive is the way to go.

Also, if you don't want your serving Mac to be on all the time, the more you can sync the better.

3. Mike in Kansas thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

Thanks for the reply Cave Man. How large are typical HD movie files? If there's 32GB of usable space on the ATV hard drive, how many HD movies could I get on there before I need to move them back to my iMac? I am far from a media junkie, and as a family we maybe watch 2-3 movies a week if that.

4. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I have nine 720p movies on my ATV hard drive and they average around 6 gb in size (6 mbps, AC3 and AAC audio tracks).

5. Mike in Kansas thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas