ATV Home Share Issues

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by donkeyvision, Dec 31, 2010.

1. donkeyvision macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm having trouble with the home sharing option... my mac isn't showing up under "computers".
    THe ATV is set up - you tube, netflix and all seem to be up and running.
    I have the home sharing option turned on through itunes.

When I try to set up sharing in the ATV settings, everything seems to go according to plan, but I notice "Turn Home Sharing ON" button has a spinning wheel beside it... I've seen screen shots with this saying "Turn home sharing off", when it is officially on.

This has been going on for hours -I've restarted both the ATV and the mac.
    Someone had this exact issue over on the official apple discussions, but no one responded and I couldn't seen to sign up for some reason.

Has anyone else had this experience or any suggestion on how I can try to take care of it?

Apologies for the lengthy post.
    Thanks for any response,
    Jason

2. newagemac macrumors 68020

Are you using the exact same Home Sharing username and password as on your Mac?

3. donkeyvision thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes... everything was set up correctly.
    I'm impatient, so I called apple...

If anyone has similar issues, just go to Setting> General> Reset> Restore.
    This will take a while to "reload", but after complete fixed the issue.

I know this is somewhat of a unique problem, but I have seen posts elsewhere reporting similar experiences.
    Hope this helps if anyone is in a similar situation.

4. lindyb macrumors newbie

I had the same problem....but this never happened prior to the apple tv update that I installed about 2 weeks ago. My fix was resetting my router. But I have to do this every time that I want to use my apple tv home sharing.

Has your issue happened again since you did the restore?

5. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

I am having this exact same issue. Every time I want to use home sharing i have to turn home sharing off on my Mac and then reactivate it. Then everything works fine until I turn it off and I go to use the Apple TV the next time.