ATV in the UK

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Aniseedvan, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Aniseedvan macrumors 6502a

I've sat on the fence about buying an ATV for a long time as I don't have a great deal of movie content on my NAS to run through a TV.
    However, lovefilm did an update recently to support mirroring and my daughter often watches film on my iPad.
    Aside from that, I know there isn't a dedicated iplayer app but will AirPlay work OK?

What other UK services are available (4OD, etc)?

Groupon have got them at £75 today, hence my interest coming back..

2. Stewart21 macrumors regular

Well, there are a few rubbish things on the UK ATV but you can of course buy movies and TV shows via iTunes. The best thing for me though is Netflix. £5.99 a month for a subscription and a dedicated Netflix app. You can get a months free trial.
    I don't use Lovefilm so I don't know if that works. You can get a refurb ATV for £75 on the Apple store website.

3. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

In my experience, the Airplay video quality is very compressed in comparison with a native ATV app. For instance I was thrilled when I noticed the iPad Netflix app would Airplay to the ATV (so you can use the iPad app to select programmes, rather than the poky ATV remote), but the quality and framerate were awful.

That was on an ATV2, Airplay from an iPad2, with Netflix. I don't know if it's better with more recent ATV/iPad hardware or other apps such as lovefilm. But in my experience, Airplay is great for convenience, but not if you want a sharp image (not sure if it supports surround sound either).

4. BaggieBoy, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013

BaggieBoy macrumors 6502

BaggieBoy

Easy....there are none.

Correction: There is Sky News.

5. vhdcinema macrumors newbie

BBC iPlayer works well to Apple TV over AirPlay from the iPod App.

I have found you get a much better picture if you download the programme first.

6. Aniseedvan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. It would be on a "secondary" TV mostly for kids programs/films to be honest, surround sound not needed. I still don't think there's enough to tempt me and reading some of the other threads about how restricted it is, I think I might pass for a while yet..

7. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Lovefilm works perfectly well via airplay and mirroring. I've used it several times and I've never had any problems with picture quality. The ITV player can also be mirroed to the Apple TV, although picture quality isn't the best.