ATV joins wrong AirPort with weaker signal

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Mileage88, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Mileage88 macrumors newbie

Hi All first time poster here, although I've read the threads for awhile,

I just installed an ATV2 in my gameroom. The problem I ran into was that my Airport Extreme (running ethernet connections and 802.11n throughout the house) was on the other side of the house, and I was getting very weak signal and slow speeds to my ATV.

So, I bought an Airport Express (also 802.11n), plugged it into an ethernet connection across the room from my ATV, and set it to "extend network" bridge mode, so that it would broadcast the same SSID as the Airport Extreme. At first, I connected the ATV to this extended network and got great speed to my ATV.

The problem I'm having now is that my ATV can barely get the signal from the Airport Extreme across the house (about 1 bar) and it keeps joining that router, rather than connect to the full signal Airport Express across the room. The only way I can get it to join the Express is to unplug the Extreme.

I thought about just having the AP Express create a new network with a unique SSID, rather than extend existing SSID, but my iMac is plugged into the Airport Extreme across the house. Am I correct that if I had the Express create a new network, the ATV would no longer be able to "see" my iMac on the other network? Does anyone know of a way I can force the ATV2 to join the stronger signal router (AP Express) when it is only in extend mode? Please help if you know of a solution to this problem, thank you!

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

if under connection sharing on the express you put it on "off (bridge mode) then you can give it whatever SSID you want. anything connected to it will be directly connected to the ethernet.

so Yes, it will work with a different SSID, as long as it's in "off (Bridge mode)".

I have an express N in off bridge mode, and a linksys G router, I can use remote on my iphone connected to the G to control the laptop on the N. (and 2 different names my_network_N and my_network_G)

3. Mileage88 thread starter macrumors newbie