ATV newbie - do I need a router?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Dezlboy, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Dezlboy macrumors regular

Current setup is COMCAST cable w/ Motorola modem (no wireless capability) and MacMini. I want to buy Mom an ATV so can watch Netflix streaming shows on a TV monitor across the room.

Do I need to buy a router (for the wireless connection), and would the Airport Express work? Or can the MacMini provide a wireless connection to the ATV?

Price is a consideration, but more so ease of use for my Mom in terms of setup and minimal issues and need to "go back into settings". Thus, Apple products preferred since she can deal with one "help desk".

Thanks so much.

2. VideoBeagle macrumors 6502a

Unless there's capabilities to the mini I'm not aware of, yes, you'll need a router for the Apple TV, as each device (mini and tv) needs its own ip address.

3. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Airport express will work. Although you can always get a cheaper router.

4. KiwiAdventure macrumors 6502a

Why as the latest Apple TV3 has wifi built in so no network required

5. mlody macrumors 6502a

I do not think Apple TV supports Ad hoc mode, so a wifi router is required unfortunately.

6. Longkeg macrumors regular

Huh? Netflix requires a connection to the internet. Wifi doesn't necessarily mean internet connection.

Could you connect the mini directly to the TV? Don't minis have an HDMI out port?

7. Dezlboy thread starter macrumors regular

The Mini is across room from the TV, and cords can't be hid. Mom would never allow it! :)

8. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

You could set up Internet Sharing from the Mac mini to share the internet connection if it were connected via Ethernet connection over Airport. This would create a WiFi network that you could join an Apple TV to, to then stream content. The only problem with this idea is the fact that the Mac mini would always need to be on.

You can turn on encryption to secure the network.

Hope this helps

----------

With iOS 8 you can do ad-hoc connections to the Apple TV

9. takeshi74 macrumors 601

You can do this but I'd highly recommend a router instead.

10. Dezlboy thread starter macrumors regular

First off, thanks to everyone for replying.

By router....the Airport Express would suffice, yes?

And, takeshi74: why do you not recommend the solution by pacmania using Internet sharing.

FWIW: the cost of router isn't an issue. Also, since Mom will be using the AppleTV and she is miles away, the "simpler" solution the better.

Thx again!

11. Anonymous Freak macrumors 603

Anonymous Freak

The router will be simpler - Cable in one port, out to the Mac mini on the other (or wireless, if you prefer,) and WiFi to the AppleTV.

The "use the Mac mini as the router through Internet Sharing" would be cheaper - as in free. And once set up, just as seamless.

12. Dezlboy thread starter macrumors regular

All.....THANKS AGAIN!

I'm gong to go with the router to keep things the simplest. Especially since any troubling shooting will be over the phone with me or Applecare.

much appreciated.