Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

finalcut

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2007
Quebec, Canada
Hello everyone,

I want to listen some music with my Home receiver. My music would come from either my iPhone or MacBook Pro.

Am I missing something or either ATV and Airport Express would work for what I need?

With almost the same price, if both options would work, then I'd buy a ATV.

thanks in advance

Panch0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2010
Virginia
I can't think of any reason that the ATV wouldn't work, but If you're really only interested in Music, I'd go for the AE.

The ATV limits you to a HDMI Connection (not sure if you could use the Optical audio without the HDMI or not). In any case, the connections from the ATV are limited, but I guess that really depends on the free ports on your receiver. You may need to at least temporarily connect the ATV to a TV to set it up (to the wireless network if nothing else).

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
The AppleTV actually has both HDMI and a standard Toslink digital audio output, so it works perfectly for an audio connection to the receiver. In fact, to get digital audio from the AE requires an odd toslink cable with a digital mini jack plug, whereas the ATV uses a standard connection. I have both (several AE's, actually), and can't say which one I'd choose. Obviously the ATV can also do video, but the AE is a portable router and a usb print server as well...

Either way, buy from the Apple refurb store and save a few bucks.

finalcut

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2007
Quebec, Canada
I have 2 free hdmi ports on my receiver. I also have a 4th Gen Airport extreme with my old TC connected to the Airport Extreme. So I have all my usb ports for printer and my WD World Editions.

I guess ATV would be the best option for me then. Plus I'd get video. I only wish there are some french movies that can be rented from Apple.

thanks for the advices guys

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.