ATV randomly not recognizing mv4 files

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by badmac78, Oct 1, 2008.

1. badmac78 macrumors 6502

I went to watch one of my movies (that I legally own and ripped) on Apple TV. ATV sits for a while then displays the infamous "file format not recognized". Checking the format of the rip its 640x352 (iPod High Rez) on HandBrake. I checked other movies that I know have played before and suddenly they are not playable either. Any idea of what is going on?

2. hauntedcity macrumors member

hauntedcity

I see the same thing every now and then. Today, the Apple TV would not play ANY videos I tried ("format not recognized"), but would play music with no problem. Now, the videos run fine. I didn't restart anything, but now it works?

I have loved my Apple TV but it keeps getting flakier and flaker, and I'm getting pretty fed up with it.

3. Oilbrnr macrumors 6502

Was that a streamed file or local?

When I've encountered this, it was a streamed file, and cycling iTunes solved the problemo.

4. badmac78 thread starter macrumors 6502

you are right. I cycled mine a few times and it finally started behaving. Nothing since then. I also have gotten a mac mini which feeds the ATV instead of my laptop. That may have been causing some issues also.

5. RRutter macrumors 6502

To others who are having this problem, do what badmac did - cycle the ATV a few times, make sure your iTunes on if you are watching movies directly from your iTunes, streaming, and see waht happens after that.