ATV Video Storage Issue from iTunes

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by geoffcaplan, Jan 26, 2009.

1. geoffcaplan macrumors newbie

geoffcaplan

I like my ATV. But a big downside is that, if I want to build a build a big video library, iTunes will consume more and more HD space on my MacBook. Is there a way around this? Can iTunes save and synch the videos from an external HD? Thanks.

2. Robbadore64 macrumors regular

Yeppers. My iMac has a lowley 250 gig drive. I have a 1 terabyte external MyBook drive that my entire library of 292 movies (all my music too). Just a matter of moving your library over, then pointing iTunes to it.

Good luck!

Although, I failed to mention that if my external drive isn't plugged up, I got nothing. If you want to have "some" stuff on the local drive and the rest on the external, I know there are ways to do this (like pointers maybe) but I've never had the need since I'm not mobile. You can research this pretty easily I'm sure.

3. geoffcaplan thread starter macrumors newbie

geoffcaplan

Pointing to External HD

Thanks for the tip. Do you know how I can point iTunes to a library on an external HD and how I would create the library away from the MacBook?

4. celica73 macrumors member

Put the file on an external drive. Slect the file in the finder and option-drag it into iTunes.
    This will add the file to iTunes but leave it in the original location.

Scott

5. geoffcaplan thread starter macrumors newbie

geoffcaplan

How to add iTunes Library to External HD

Thanks for that last suggestion on how to do it. Worked great.

6. Keebler macrumors 68030

You can also click on itunes in your dock while holding option. same command I guess, but a different way.

7. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

Open iTunes then select on the menu bar at the top iTunes/Preferences/Advanced. Change iTunes Music Folder location and point it to the new external HD. Now iTunes will play all media from that external drive. Next simply copy over all your iTunes media to the same external HD.