ATV vs Kindle Fire TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by profmatt, Sep 10, 2015.

1. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

Although I'm wildly brand loyal to Apple, earlier this year I sold my Apple TV and bought a Kindle Fire TV. I think it's excellent and far better than the (now) old Apple TV.

Having read the reports on yesterday's announcements, I'm struggling to find a reason to go back to Apple for TV.

Am I missing something or is the new Apple TV really not that interesting or impressive. What does it do that the Kindle Fire TV doesn't?

2. GWLBE macrumors newbie

Fire TV = XBMC, New ATV = Itunes bloat required, no thanks.

3. chris566 macrumors regular

The Fire TV and Fire TV Stick both blow ATV 2/3 out of the water. But I'm eager to see how the new ATV compares. A few months back I sold my three ATV 3's and bought 3 Fire Sticks. I can AirPlay video and audio from iOS devices to the Fire Stick with the latest Kodi/XBMC.

4. mintakax macrumors regular

I watch a lot of free Amazon Prime movies (on Roku or Fire TV). Will I be able to do this on the ATV4 ?

5. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

Yeah until amazon one day decides no more side loading apps for "SECURITY REASONS" then there goes Kodi

6. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    I have ROKU 3, and Amazon Fire,as a Prime Subscriber rent frequently, and enjoy free thousands of movies, what's not to like,ATV4, uh no

7. chris566 macrumors regular

Unless Amazon writes their own OS, this probably would never happen. Fire devices are Android devices. I don't think Android would ever take away the ability to sideload.