ATV with NAS

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by d4zza, Jan 27, 2016.

1. d4zza macrumors member

can I use Apple TV to stream MKV, AVI and MP4 video files from my local Netgear NAS device?

It means I could then get rid on my Sony NMP-200.

Thanks

2. Shawn Llewellyn macrumors newbie

NO! You need a PC or MAC in order to do this iTunes has to be running to serve up your media...NOT just a NAS..

3. Colonel Badger macrumors 6502

Yes if the files don't require transcoding then use the Infuse app to stream from your NAS.

4. geesus macrumors regular

geesus

Are we talking the old ATV or the new one? If the old then the first post is more accurate, if new then the 2nd lol. Infuse works great with a NAS.

5. Colonel Badger macrumors 6502

Good point i'd automatically assumed ATV 4, my mistake.

6. pirata macrumors member

pirata

Have you tried kodi, you can side load it and it should be able to play all your movie files.

7. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

The answer is, it depends.

First which version of ATV are you using? The ATV won't play MKV's natively, you will need something outside of the standard apple tv software to do this. Something such as PLEX, KODI etc.

If your NAS box has an apple tv app that runs on it, yes you can do away with the Sony. QNAP has an iTunes app. It isn't that good though and depending on your NAS box, can be quite slow.

If the NAS box does not, then you will need something running iTunes ala another computer.

8. Rigby, Jan 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2016

Rigby macrumors 601

The iTunes server apps available for some NASs will not work with the Apple TV. These apps only support the old-style iTunes library sharing, but not Home Sharing (which is what the current Apple TV models use). iTunes streaming is also limited to MP4 files with H.264 video and AAC or AC3 audio.

Some NASs offer a workaround (basically you tell the NAS to airplay compatible MP4 files to an Apple TV via a NAS-specific phone app), but it's clumsy and doesn't allow using the Computers app on the Apple TV to search and select content.

Bottom line: If the videos you want to stream are DRM-free (i.e. not purchased iTunes content), you can probably play them with streaming apps such as MrMC and Infuse (unless they use some codec that is not supported by these apps). Otherwise you'll have to use a computer with iTunes as the server (of course you can still host the actual files on a share on the NAS).

9. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Glad you said most, the QNAP one that has been updated and comes with my box does work the AppleTV I had (ATV3, now a 4), as I have used it. However it was extremely slow as I do not have a very powerful NAS box. So I had to employ a Mac Mini to handle my iTunes content. Heck, my little Mac Mini handles the following streaming apps for me; Plex, Sonos, iTunes, and StreamToMe. Have yet to see hiccup. I have ran all four to different devices and it keeps chugging along.

10. Rigby macrumors 601

QNAP's iTunes server does not work with the Apple TV (I have a QNAP myself). You are probably referring to the QFile phone app, which you can use as a remote for the NAS to start airplay to an Apple TV (the clumsy workaround I mentioned in the previous posting). But you cannot search and select videos from the NAS using the Apple TV remote in the Computers app on the Apple TV, which is far more convenient.

11. guussie macrumors newbie

If you have the ATV4, build a Raspberry Pi NAS with Plex Server and use Plex to stream to your ATV4. Cheap, simple and it just works...

12. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

You are correct I stand corrected. Having Plex JB on my AT3 is what I was using to access my content. I stand corrected. Had to go back and fire it up.

13. d4zza thread starter macrumors member

Some good replies, thanks folks.

For clarity, I was thinking about the newest ATV as I believe you can run apps on it. It was from that point of view I was asking.

I currently use a 4TB Netgear ReadyNAS, which does have some sort of iTunes features.

I was hoping with the new ATV doing apps I could use something like I have just now, 8Player.

14. IscariotJ macrumors 6502a

VLC could probably do this, as it has support for loading files from CIFS / FTP shares.... There's another one, too, but the name escapes, at the minute

15. SpinalTap macrumors regular

SpinalTap

I own a ReadyNAS. It never has nor ever will work with any ATV model.

The only two NAS brands that will work with ATV are Synology and QNAP.

16. dotnet macrumors 6502a

dotnet

Really? Which apps on the ATV4 have you tried? I can't imagine VLC for example to be picky about the brand of NAS that serves the movie files.

17. Colonel Badger macrumors 6502

Depending on the encoding of your movies you might be able to simply use the Infuse app. Rather than putting the onus on the NAS to transcode the video, Infuse transcodes in real time on the ATV 4 box. This means the NAS can be far less powerful. The downside is that if the movie is encoded in a tricky codec and/or high resolution Infuse can struggle.

I have successfully played DVD quality MKV's (Mpeg 2 with DD5.1 and DTS) from a basic NAS using SMB and Infuse plays them wonderfully.

18. skyclad81 macrumors newbie

I have a ReadyNas 102 and my ATV4 works great with it using MrMC, Infuse, VLC...

19. kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a

kiranmk2

Best bet is to try the InFuse (free) app. Get a feel for how the setup works. If the general streaming works well and you don't need 5.1 sound you are set. If you need 5.1 sound then either upgrade to the paid version of InFuse or have a look at MrMC (both around the same price). If your NAS has an option to install a Plex server, then this is also an option, but may take a bit more setting up.

There are some other apps (such as VLC) but I don't think they really have the comprehensive media player UI.

20. Colonel Badger macrumors 6502

^------ THIS !

21. ajforbes20 macrumors regular

ajforbes20

22. stix666 macrumors regular

Another vote for Infuse. If you have decent home audio, get the paid version for the really excellent Audio codec support. My apple tv4 now plays better audio than the Mac mini did with Plex.

23. thekayman macrumors 6502

There are several apps in the aTV app store that can stream from a NAS.

The only one that plays EVERYTHING without a problem is MrMC, which is based on xbmc. The interface is not so nice and they don't support the new aTV remote properly yet. But it plays everything.

Infuse is nice looking and all but it couldn't even open half of my video formats, so useless for me at this point.

NAStify is another option, not so great either, but the cheapest in the store.

VLC is useless as it does not suppport AC3.

24. DebbieFL33 macrumors regular

8Player is on tvOS store